Home General Discussion
Options

Checks.....

ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
Who still uses them?

I still do. I pay all my bills but one ( Car insurance, only cause they give me a discount )
My daughter and wife made fun of me, they say I'm old fashion....But I can keep better track of my bills that way. I still write down everything down in a register too.   

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to put everything on my credit card, including gas and groceries. You’d be amazed at how fast your reward points (miles, whatever) add up. 

And, if I do have to send someone a check (like the Coffee Bully) I just have my bank send it via my bill-pay account. A few key-clicks and it’s sent. 

The only check i write by hand any more is to the care-giver who takes care of my child bride while I sneak off for a cigar. She needs the money right away and I consider my stogie-time to be worth it. A win-win situation.....
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I write 12 checks a year (one each month for rent). Other then that I don’t think I have used a check for anything else in the last 5 years. I rarely even use cash these days either it is more convenient to use my phone then go to a bank or atm to get cash 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Non cigar related.
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I hate being in line behind youngsters trying to use a check.  :D It is entertaining though, watching them stare at it like it’s written in ancient Greek
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still use checks on occasion. Lot of places won't take them anymore. How many of you remember traveler's checks? Do they even exist anymore???
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our shop only takes checks and cash, no credit or debit cards, why make the banks rich?
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our shop only takes checks and cash, no credit or debit cards, why make the banks rich?
    Curious as to how many checks bounce?
    It used to be a big deal
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was curious about this and went and checked (lol). I wrote 3 checks since opening my most recent bank account a year and a half ago. My landlord takes quickpay, and all my bills are on auto pay set to my credit card for the same reason as @jlmarta . My credit card is through my bank so I pay that off in the banking app. I never really realized how much easier it is to give away my money than it would have been in the past. 
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very few bounced checks go uncollected after the bank sends them off to the collection agency. We lose much less than the amount the cc companies charge merchants.
  • Options
    I used to go to a liquor store and on the wall behind the counter they used to post up the bad checks they got, there was one with the name Charles Manson on it....I smiled every time I saw it.  
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't even had a check to write in years, I ordered some a while back, never got them, never followed up because I don't use them.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Now and then but all my bills are automatic now. But I got a lot of math to do when I get back home because I forgot my checkbook. I usually balance it about twice a week and every Sunday. I’m a bit **** about it. 
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fortunately, my wife does all the bills.  The only checks she writes is for outfits that don't have online payments.  I think she may to two a month.
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We still use checks pretty often. Most bills are online but we pay daycare weekly with a check and our water/sewer/trash/electric that goes to the city is a check
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still use them. Don’t have a debit card. I use the credit card simply for getting cash back rewards. Sadly I write more checks out for my customers who can’t do it themselves.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Church and school stuff for the kids, but my wife usually writes them. 
    I'm trying to fix the church thing and get online contributions.
    The school thing is because they don't take the cards and I don't trust my kids to hold on to cash and not get robbed on the bus or something.

We pay our rent with an e-check.  Our bank offers it free; they cut the check and mail it so we don't have to.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just had a plumber come over and dig a big Lego piece out of the toilet to the tube of $300 after the third visit of not being able to fix it. Amanda wrote a check and memo was “One expensive Lego”. Was rolling on the ground when I read it. 

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    I've heard of ****ing a brick...But never a Lego.
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checks...I have a checking account but no checks... the bank wanted to charge me $40 or something for the checks LOL, f*** that. They did offer me the debit card free of charge though.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TX98Z28 said:
    Checks...I have a checking account but no checks... the bank wanted to charge me $40 or something for the checks LOL, f*** that. They did offer me the debit card free of charge though.
    That’s why they’re called “Banksters”.......   :#
  • Options
    Bat-mastersonBat-masterson Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    Life Insurance with checks, few bills with bill pay, rest is cash. Always get a discount with cash. Saved $200 this week at tile store paying cash.  Told me $1400, told him it will be cash, said just give me 1200.