Home Non Cigar Related

Nobel Prize for Trump/Kim?

Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
"Coral, one of the top British bookmakers, has Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un as favorites — at 2/1 odds — to win the Nobel Peace Prize this year. They’re ahead of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Saudi activist Raif Badawi, Pope Francis and other potential winners. If their talks go as well as Friday’s summit between Kim and his South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in, and peace is restored to the Korean peninsula, they’ll both deserve it"

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-04-27/a-nobel-prize-for-trump-and-kim-is-no-joke

Comments

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally agree, but if something good comes out of this, there is no way Trump will get any credit at all!
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll wait and see the outcome of this first......I don't trust Kim, or any communist/dictator for that matter. A tiger doesn't change his stripes that fast.
    Don't get me wrong, I hope this all works out for the best......But I have a feeling he's just playing a game with China and Russia pulling the strings. 
    Ether way, it's going to take years to play out. 
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be this whole thing is about getting our military out of the South China Sea. A unified Korea, with allies China and maybe even Japan giving us the boot. Russia will be a player that's for sure. 
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    No effin way Nobel would hand him the prize! Kim, yes; Turmp, no. Were Donald Trump to discover a cure for cancer in his basement lab tonight, your MSNBC headline tomorrow would read: "Trump puts a million surgeons out of work!", CNN talking heads would insist that Putin had a hand in it, Maxine Waters would explain how curing cancer is white supremacy, Jim Acosta would pepper Sarah with insulting questions, antifa would take to the streets -- no one would figure out why, Stormy would sue Donald for giving her cancer, .... you get the picture.

Look, even Nixon... is he remembered for bringing China out of the dark and into the relatively sane world? No. China was a hermit kingdom at the time. China was Stalin and North Korea all rolled into one, but with a billion people, fielding an army of three million goose-stepping fanatics, armed with nukes. Mao didn't give a whit how many millions he murdered in the name of Revolution. Now what do you see? Place making crappy tools that fall apart in your hands, iPhones, tainted dog food, Olympic host, gonna get basketball franchises. Did Nixon get a Nobel for de-fuzing that ticking time bomb? No way! Kissinger, yes, for a Viet Nam treaty broken before the ink was dry. Nixon, no way. Look, stop and reflect carefully: Can you think of any one accomplishment more responsible for averting WWIII than Nixon's success persuading Peking to prefer profit over power?

Take your time. Name me one. Whatcha got? 

Run out of public life because nitwits bugging the hotel where the DNC ran a ring of call girls bungled the job. His name is infamous.

Trump's already got a running head start on Nixon's infamy. Trump's hotel was bugged before he was even elected. When he claimed so he was despised as a lunatic liar. Since proved true the facts've been ignored. 

No. Obama gets a Nobel just for showing up; Trump gets despised just for showing up. I'm not saying he's not an ass; I just say that if it weren't for double standards the Left would have no standards at all. ... and the Left includes these knucklehead Swedes on the prize committee. 

The year they handed the Nobel to Gore in lieu of Irena Sendler they lost any respect from me.

Can you imagine the riots in Stockholm if he were awarded?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well said @webmost
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be surprised.
    The NOBEL committee has been taken over by liberal progressive hacks.
    Proof=obozo gets the award for no reason at all. He even admitted it.
    If sanity ever again rears its ugly head and worms its way into the media and politics and all the rest of it, and "let the truth be known" was the standard, maybe, just maybe, Trump would stand a chance. I don't care if you like Trump and his tweets or not, learn to deal with the truth of his accomplishments, and the consequences of a rogue media and its hacks.
    I have looked behind every tree on our property and have not found a single Russian. I have found a lot of chicken eggs.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:

I have looked behind every tree on our property and have not found a single Russian. I have found a lot of chicken eggs.

Keep lookin.
    The accusation is all the proof you need.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:

If sanity ever again rears its ugly head and worms its way into the media and politics and all the rest of it, and "let the truth be known" 

Dreamer, you silly little dreamer....

I have to laugh a little at all the uproar over "Russians meddling in our elections".
    The serious meddling happens much closer to home.  In fact, right here at home.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:

Look, even Nixon... is he remembered for bringing China out of the dark and into the relatively sane world? No. China was a hermit kingdom at the time. China was Stalin and North Korea all rolled into one, but with a billion people, fielding an army of three million goose-stepping fanatics, armed with nukes...  Did Nixon get a Nobel for de-fuzing that ticking time bomb? No way! Kissinger, yes, for a Viet Nam treaty broken before the ink was dry. Nixon, no way. Look, stop and reflect carefully: Can you think of any one accomplishment more responsible for averting WWIII than Nixon's success persuading Peking to prefer profit over power?

And Nixon in China is a great opera, too!

I'm not sure of the award dates, but in '72, the year he went to China, no Peace Prize was awarded, either.  Henry "War Crimes" Kissinger won in 73, which was kind of a laugh. 
    As to the incident at the Watergate...he's rightly remembered.  It was a mess.  Plenty of blame and shame to go around, for sure, but Nixon and his subordinates deserved every bit of punishment they got (or escaped from because of pardons.)  The best thing to come out of that was Chuck Colson.  While not agreeing with all of his theological stances, he always made me think.  And that quote about how Watergate is what convinced him that the claims of Jesus' apostles had to be true since he knew people couldn't keep a conspiracy going is pure gold.

But to the point of the post...

If these efforts have any positive international effect on commerce, cessation of hostilities, demilitarization, or the improvement of the quality of life for the citizens of North Korea, it will be absolutely deserved.  I say that, and I'm not a fan of DJT.  I would like to know who the other nominees are, though, before I say he's more deserving.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.