Home Cigar 101
Options

Does anyone know....

Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
Every once in a while I get a cigar with a small straight slit near the head. The cut it always through the wrapper and binder and if not covered air will move through it. Does anyone know if this happens at the factory of later?


Comments

  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Never seen that before 

    must be that advanced airflow design
  • Options
    Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it’s me and my sharp teeth. LOL
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it’s double capped could be the vegetable glue came undone, but to be an actual cut is interesting. Only defect I’ve seen like that appeared to be covered with more wrapper on the cap to hide it. 
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure it's not a crack, from the cutter blades putting pressure from the sides before they start slicing?  I've noticed that with dull blades or very thick/tough wrappers the cigar will start to smoosh out of round, and have cracks as a result.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ reminds me I need to buy an new cutter. To me literally looks as if it was cut with a razor blade...very strange.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Are you sure it's not a crack, from the cutter blades putting pressure from the sides before they start slicing?  I've noticed that with dull blades or very thick/tough wrappers the cigar will start to smoosh out of round, and have cracks as a result.
    Something I didn’t consider. The cutter used is about 5 years old. I’ll get a new high quality one and see if it happens again. Thanks Peter.
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where do you store your cigars? Is the cut always in the same spot?
    Could be a wood splinter or nail in your humidor.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guitarded said:
    Where do you store your cigars? Is the cut always in the same spot?
    Could be a wood splinter or nail in your humidor.
    Cut is always in the same spot and no splinters or nails in the humi. If no one has seen this before it must be me and my canines.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know lots of stuff. I’m a collector of useless trivia. 😁
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    At first glance, I'd guess that somebody poked that hole with a fingernail.
    Is this happening on different cigars or all from the same box?
    Could be that somebody at the rolling table was getting sloppy. 
    Or maybe you are the one doing it. Are you finding the defect before or after the cut? If you are only noticing these defects after the cut, I'd say you need to carefully study how you're holding it while cutting. I noticed this post is about two months old so, have you had any more problems? Or have you figured it out?
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Nicaragua Chupacabra bite mark?
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a Chupacabra last night, didn't look like that.

    Esteban Carreras Chupacabra

    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    At first glance, I'd guess that somebody poked that hole with a fingernail.
    Is this happening on different cigars or all from the same box?
    Could be that somebody at the rolling table was getting sloppy. 
    Or maybe you are the one doing it. Are you finding the defect before or after the cut? If you are only noticing these defects after the cut, I'd say you need to carefully study how you're holding it while cutting. I noticed this post is about two months old so, have you had any more problems? Or have you figured it out?
    I’ve determined it’s me. Don’t know how but it must be me. No one else has experienced it and it seems  random. I even checked for gremlins and chupacabras in my humidor and nothing.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get some garlic and see if the cracks stop.  You might be a vampire and don't know it.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
Sign In or Register to comment.