Home Non Cigar Related

Thank You All For Your Prayers

MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just wanted to take a moment to say thanks to all of my BOTL and SOTL's who have been there for me these past few months. For those of you who didn't know, my grandmother's health has been in decline since last Thanksgiving. We have been by her side through blood clots, heart failure, and the miraculous recovery she most recently made when her aneurysm ruptured. 

We lost her this afternoon at 5:52pm, following a massive stroke she suffered this morning. My uncle and I were by her side to bid her one last final farewell and to hold her hands as she departed for the life of eternal happiness in those big rock candy mountains. She was 87 years young and full of **** right up through this very morning at breakfast time.

Grandmom George was like a mother to me from day one. Her and my grandfather gave me all the love in the world and I was fortunate to have had the time we did. Once grandpop died in 2009, I moved into the house in Delaware with her to help keep things in order until 2012 when she was no longer able to walk because of horrible arthritis contracted from an old injury. She spent her last years in the Bethlehem/Allentown area under the care of a wonderful lady named Lisa, who runs a small home care facility out of her house. Lisa was a fantastic caretaker and friend for my grandma and is taking this just as hard as us.

Grandma leaves behind a brother and sister, two sons, five grandchildren, countless nieces, nephews and cousins, and so many cherished memories which will never be forgotten. I am so thankful for having had her in my life for these 27 years. Nothing will ever compare to the relationship we shared. 

This has all happened so fast and we really haven't had time to fully grasp it yet. I know it will hit me like a brick wall sooner than later. For now I'm remembering the good times and trying to be happy because I know she's with her departed mother, father, siblings and my grandpop in a land where she'll never grow old. 

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers you've given to her and our family. I believe they kept her going. Just last night, while sitting on the porch before bed, I heard a whipporwill for the first time ever in these Pennsylvania mountains. I like to think it was sent as a sign of compassion...
“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns

Comments

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts and prayers are with you, Mark.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thoughts and prayers to you Mark as you go through this tough time. God bless!
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark, my condolences to you and your family, you need anything let me know.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish her well on her journey. Stay strong.
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss and prayers with you and your family.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My deepest sympathies for your loss.  No matter what, it's never easy.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You and your family will remain in our prayers.
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark I’m sorry for your loss may you and your family find strength in the coming days. Remember she is no longer suffering and has found eternal happiness with those that are no longer with us. If you need anything brother don’t hesitate to reach out.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Condolences Mark
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rest in peace Grandmom George. 
    A little dirt never hurt
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the kind words fellas. Getting there, just rough. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you and your Grandmother had a special relationship with lots of good memories that you will hold close forever.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:
    Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you and your Grandmother had a special relationship with lots of good memories that you will hold close forever.
    So true, sitting and thinking about them all right now. It's incredible looking back on all of those memories. We helped each other through some fairly substantial obstacles and shared many more good times. In 26 years we never had a single argument that lasted more than a few minutes. She always said we just understood each other that way. It was a relationship I've never had with any other person, except for my Grandfather who was nearly identical in his own way.
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers for you and your family