First humidor how to pick

2»

Comments

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run  a 2.5 cf mini fridge on 1 large boveda
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Cigar-20104455Cigar-20104455 Posts: 12
    peter4jc said:
    I just don't think you'll need the Oasis - don't know anyone that uses a wineador with one.  They'll add humidity, but won't draw it out when necessary.  Bovedas, or beads seems to suffice for people using coolers or wineadors. 
    I hear you. I’ll do some more research and see. I just don’t want to not be able to monitor it for a while and end up losing a bunch of cigars. If I’m unable to replace a boveda in time or something. What’s a good source for cedar trays and stuff?
    “An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced”, Al Swearengen, Deadwood, 1877. 
    dirtdude said:
    I run  a 2.5 cf mini fridge on 1 large boveda
    Good to know. I may start there once I see what the hygro says from the start. 
    “An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced”, Al Swearengen, Deadwood, 1877. 
    edited July 2018
    Ok so I ask about cedar trays because I’m finding A LOT of cedar trays that have solid sides but cedar veneered MDF bottoms. I would think that would be the most important part to be solid since it has the most surface contact with a cigar. Am I crazy or just wrong?
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    One thing about the Oasis. They have foam in them and mold loves foam.
    I had to gut mine and put crystals in it. And even at that, I have to check the crystals every once in a while, cause mold will start on them too.
    Bovedas are way better to use.

As for cedar, someone posted a source some time ago and I'm too lazy to look. I can't see where there would be enough savings to justify a laminate tray.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    0patience said:
    One thing about the Oasis. They have foam in them and mold loves foam.
    I had to gut mine and put crystals in it. And even at that, I have to check the crystals every once in a while, cause mold will start on them too.
    Bovedas are way better to use.

As for cedar, someone posted a source some time ago and I'm too lazy to look. I can't see where there would be enough savings to justify a laminate tray.
    Interesting. I didn’t realize that. Every cedar site so far has said that. I found 1 that I need to call because they don’t say. I wouldn’t think the savings is enough to worry about it either. Thanks!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Ok so I ask about cedar trays because I’m finding A LOT of cedar trays that have solid sides but cedar veneered MDF bottoms. I would think that would be the most important part to be solid since it has the most surface contact with a cigar. Am I crazy or just wrong?
    You're not crazy, and you're not wrong to be concerned but you may be wrong that a spanish cedar veneer wouldn't be good enough. I'll ask everyone here this question to balance any concern over veneers,....... Aren't plenty of cigar boxes, that cigar makers trust to house their product, made of spanish cedar veneers over MDF? If it's good enough for cigar boxes, it's good enough to make trays out of, isn't it?  I just looked at a handful of my own cigar boxes and half appear to be spanish cedar veneer on both sides layered over MDF.  
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
    Thanks Bob! Of note, I just talked to oasis and they stated that they recommend a “cooler” be set at 68* to use their excel unit and it does have foam that’s treated with a mold agent and that’s why they recommend annual replacement of the cartridge. She also leaked that the new excel units will include the WiFi option in the unit as well. Interesting. I’ll probably season and start Boveda and explore the excel option more. I’m interested in info on the trays though. I’ll keep looking at trays and post a link if I find any that are legit total solid cedar. Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help!!
    @Cigar-20104455
    You might consider some empty cigar boxes for trays. Ask your local brick and mortar if they have any extras for free of a small fee. I use a couple 10 count super toros without the lid.

That’s a good idea. I’ll look into that plus any that I buy. Thanks!!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a 120 quart cooler and see how fast you can fill it.. 😂
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. Hope you’re not married or your wife is gonna be real pissed with you in a few months.