Home Cigar 101

Boveda Usage

CoryM483CoryM483 Posts: 4
edited July 2018 in Cigar 101
I'm pretty new to the cigar life, and have opted to use Tupperware with Boveda packs inleiu of a humidor to start my newly found obsession! My first question is do I really need the Boveda holders (wood or metal), or can I just lay the packs throughout the container directly on the celo's or cigar boxes without jeopardizing the cigars' quality? My second question is can I really trust the RH provided by the Boveda I chose, or would a Hygrometer still be recommended? 

TIA, and glad to be apart of the community!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Put 'em anywhere you want, on the cigars is fine, wherever you feel they'll be able to breathe.

They are accurate, but still, why not spend $10 on a digital hygrometer, calibrate it, and then you know you're good.

And buy twice as many Bovedas as you need, so you have a backup batch to use while recharging the first ones.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    CoryM483 said:
    Excellent. Something i'm not up to speed on is the "re-charging" of the packs. 
    Recharging is very simple. Take the dried Boveda and wrap it with a wet paper towel. The towel should be soaked, in distilled water only, then ringed out so that it is damp and see through. Place the wrapped pack in an airtight bag just a little bigger than the pack, seal it, and wait a few days until the Boveda has absorbed all the water from the towel and that you can’t see through the towel anymore. Done.

Answers

• CoryM483CoryM483 Posts: 4
    Excellent. Something i'm not up to speed on is the "re-charging" of the packs. I ordered a box of 24 packs from Amazon of the RH72's (suggested by a local cigar shop for our region, Colorado) and will probably only use 3 at a time in my starter case. Once they expire, they can be recharged or should I just replace them all together? 
  • CoryM483CoryM483 Posts: 4
    CoryM483 said:
    Excellent. Something i'm not up to speed on is the "re-charging" of the packs. 
    Recharging is very simple. Take the dried Boveda and wrap it with a wet paper towel. The towel should be soaked, in distilled water only, then ringed out so that it is damp and see through. Place the wrapped pack in an airtight bag just a little bigger than the pack, seal it, and wait a few days until the Boveda has absorbed all the water from the towel and that you can’t see through the towel anymore. Done.
    Perfect! Money saved and I learned something new today. Thank you! 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My recharging is even easier, I throw them in a bowl of distilled water, store it in the mini fridge, the excess moisture recharges the big Boveda that maintains the mini fridge and everybody is happy.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just put mine in a small sealed container with a small bowl of distilled water.  I just put them in next to the bowl and in a few days, they are fine.  I don't put them in the fridge, I just leave them on my desk.