Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Fumas, Factory Seconds, or Factory Throw-outs?

I'm a newbie and a cheap one, as is obvious from the thread title.  Are Fumas and Factory Seconds/Throwouts the same, and if not, which is best?

Thank you.

Ken

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll answer your question if you answer mine... why are you so cheap?  I'm not saying you shouldn't be frugal, just curious about what makes you that way, and what do you hope to gain cigar-wise by being cheap?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    And, why did you post this under "Non-cigar related", when it clearly is cigar related?

OK, you're still requested to answer those questions, however, I'll give you the short answers to your two questions.  

No.

and, 

Depends.

Fumas tend to be short filler cigars.  Often the tobacco will be the same as the higher priced cigars from that company, just that instead of slow burning long filler, you get short filler which will generally burn faster, and a little hotter, and will not hold an ash the way a long filler cigar does.  Often, these are a good choice for a poor man wanting a taste.  

What someone like myself does, in evaluating whether these are worth it to me, is usually dissect one, and inspect to see whether the binder is really tobacco, or some kind of paper.  If I find paper, I will never buy or smoke another one.  Period.

Factory Seconds, and Throwouts, are often two different things.  

Seconds are cigars that were intended to be premium cigars, but some flaw was found.  Or, so the story goes.  I bought a lot of Alec Bradley seconds a couple years ago, some of which fell into the category of flawed as in discoloration of the leaf, or poor seams etc., and some of which seemed to be the product of a learning curve by rollers who were given good tobacco, but were inexperienced.  Mixed results on those learning curve cigars.  Those with discoloration etc., however, are often as good as the premiums.

Every cigar that I've had that was labelled "Throwout" was crap.  These weren't 2nds at all, but a contrived effort to make the buyer believe he was getting a slightly flawed premium cigar at a good price, when what he was actually buying was a short-filler paper wrapped machine made piece of junk.  Is this always the case?  I don't know, but I avoid them like a known case of herpes. 

Hope this helps.

And, answer Peters question, the answer may seriously help us to guide you in the right direction.  Really.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No fumas as I understand are short filler leftover pieces of the tobacco used to make their main lines. The 2nds are rejects from a quality perspective, usually something visual. 
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Not an expert but,  I think it goes like this,....... Fumas filler are made with scraps (SHORT FILLER) of tobacco that is leftover from rolling (supposedly,) premium cigars (LONG FILLER) and seconds are usually long filler premiums rejected because they are not good looking enough. However they could be sometimes concealing truths about the nature and composition of their seconds and fumas. I've often wondered if the seconds are made as regular production runs using beginner or not-so-good rollers and/or less than acceptable tobacco.     
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The information already provided is great and correct. I also agree that if you are looking at those to save money then there really are plenty and much better options for $4/stick or less that are far and away better and much much worth the slight increase in price. If it’s because you simply like cheap cigars and have no purpose for better ones then that is fine. But there are so many better cigars to be had on a budget than what you are looking at, really. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Dog rockets... and it's red...wow...
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I'm a newbie and a cheap one, as is obvious from the thread title.  Are Fumas and Factory Seconds/Throwouts the same, and if not, which is best?

Thank you.

Ken

AFAIK:

The term "Cuban Sandwich" refers to cigars made with leftover bits & pieces rolled between whole leaf binder and wrapper.

The term "homogenized" refers to pulped up baccy made into paper. Someone was convinced that homogenized would sound better than paper. But everyone calls it paper anyways.

To the torcedor, fumas are smokes made to tote home in your pocket and enjoy,  rather than finished product made to look good and sell. As you can imagine, when Joe Tourist went to Cuba for the tour, & his new friend Juancito took Joe home for a smoke, why, between the camaraderie and the rum, Joe would come home raving how fumas were the best thing he smoked on the island. So a factory copped the name Fumas to brand a cheaper line. 

I started out with Throwouts, and was happy with them. Sun Grown was my fave. Cuban sandwich made by JC Newman in Florida. No homogenized binder or wrappers. But within just a couple years, they went way downhill. Seems like instead of bits and pieces, they started using sweepings. Haven't smoked them in a long time. They may have started using paper since.

Gars are sorted into boxes according to color. Factory seconds is where the factory was left with a tub of gars which didn't match the color or proper appearance of the rest in the box. These leaves are an agricultural product, after all. Or they might have whitish spots on them that come from minerals in the soil. Many darker cigars are actually stained to make the color match. I don't know how they make up the stain. If you wet a stick, stain comes off, you can tell it was painted. Some gars just don't come out looking right ... the veins aren't aligned or the bunch under the wrapper was lumpy. You can get some damn fine smokes as factory seconds. One of the drawbacks, tho, is that you don't know exactly what line you're getting. They may be Patel Vintage or they may be Patel Edge. Maybe you like Edge but not Vintage. They're not going to tell you. All you know is, they're Patel seconds. 

Don't let cigar snobs get into your head. Nothing wrong with enjoying cheap. Only a fool jumps into a new obsession without a budget. After all, you are literally burning money here. And the idea that more money = more better is pure idiocy. Especially if your wife and children depend on you. Listen, you may have to pay for what you get; but you don't always get what you pay for. There's a point somewhere around six or eight bucks a stick, in fact, where the blender starts rolling the dice trying to come up with something wildly exciting, rather than the same old enjoyable smoke. It's like -- I think a Henley collar is comfier than an everyday T-shirt, cause the collar is looser. So I'll look round BJs & spring for that. I don't care if it has a little hole where I dropped an ember, or a stain where I fooled round oiling a drive chain in the garage. But I sure ain't gonna wear any of that preposterous two grand crap you might see on a model strutting down the runway. That's a waste of money I'd rather blow on the old lady, or on the grandchildren, or on a new farkle for the newest murdersickle in the stable. Course, in Italy they spend like twice as much on clothes as we do here. That's their thing. Me, I'm good with comfy.

You also might fool around rolling your own. Real cheap fumas, and fun to do.

Enjoy.
    That's the main thing.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Ksnyder211Ksnyder211 Posts: 9
    The reason I'm cheap is because I'm a coffee snob and a clothes snob.  I just don't want to become a cigar snob and spend tons of bucks when my palate just isn't that educated.  Also, and more important, the act of smoking is relaxing for me and the most meaningful thing for me. This takes precedence over flavor.  Don't get me wrong, I've bought some cheap bundles that were pretty bad, but I'm just looking for something half-decent and, again, cheap.

I may be affected by an experience with an expensive cigar:  At the time I was working through a bundle of Factory Throwouts #99.  I probably smoked half a dozen bundles and really enjoyed them before deciding to experiment after learning more about wrappers, long fillers etc. Long story shortened:  a mutual friend gave a buddy of mine and me an Oliva Melanio.   My buddy also smoked #99s.  We didn't smoke the Melanios together but compared notes later.  We both preferred the #99s. An expensive cigar is wasted on idiots like him and me.   
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Webmost said, the most important thing is that you're enjoying.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @Ksnyder211.

It occurs to me, however, that if you felt the same way about coffee you'd still be drinking Foal Turds or Max Swill House.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one can and will never go back to store bought coffee. 
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm safe.....Didn't mention "**** full o nuts". 

I have a friend who swears by these  https://www.cigar.com/p/flor-de-oliva-cigars/1466934/  Your looking right around $2.00 a stick. Supposed to get pretty good with some age on them too.
    If your enjoying yourself.....That's all that matters.  
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    now I'm curious about Factory Throwouts #99.