Home Cigar 101
Options

Currently seasoning humidor

2»

Comments

• Options
    Thunder_13Thunder_13 Posts: 20
    Digital meter was reading 71% after 8hr  I think it's off I should add  +1 or +2 just off the salt test so I would say maybe at 73%. I took the 75% Bovedas out and put in the 69% which should bring in down some I hope. Thanks for all the help guys it much appreciated. 

• Options
    Here what it looks like. My cousin told me to leave shot glass of water in. 
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The water is not needed, the Boveda packs will absorb any excess above 75% and keep it stable. That said you can do what you want, but the Boveda packs will do all the work and keep it at or near the %rH started on the Pack. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    The water is not needed, the Boveda packs will absorb any excess above 75% and keep it stable. That said you can do what you want, but the Boveda packs will do all the work and keep it at or near the %rH started on the Pack. 

I took the water out this morning my reading was up to 73% this morning figured that maybe part of the reason I looked back though this thread and seen someone told me I didn't need it. if say by Friday it isn't down should I lower to the 65% Boveda? I figure give it a day or two to see if the %RH will lower since I took shot glass amount of water out.
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For now I would leave the 69% in there and let them do their work....Let everything stabilize it self out....With all the changes you've been doing, it might take awhile. Be patient. Keep in mind the rh will change with temp change.
    Then when everything is steady ( Somewhere around 69% ) see if you have any burn issues before trying to lower the rh%. 
    One last thing to remember, it take quite a long time for the sticks themselves to fully get to the rh  level.
    That's the nice thing about Boveda/Beads.....In a few months, you'll stop worrying checking rh everyday. 
  • Options
    ForMud said:
    For now I would leave the 69% in there and let them do their work....Let everything stabilize it self out....With all the changes you've been doing, it might take awhile. Be patient. Keep in mind the rh will change with temp change.
    Then when everything is steady ( Somewhere around 69% ) see if you have any burn issues before trying to lower the rh%. 
    One last thing to remember, it take quite a long time for the sticks themselves to fully get to the rh  level.
    That's the nice thing about Boveda/Beads.....In a few months, you'll stop worrying checking rh everyday. 

Okay got it learn to be patient with the humi lol I am like a kid on Xmas just can't wait to get it ROFL. thx
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And now that we're heading into drier indoor humidity, your dry room will suck the moisture out of the wooden humidor.  Then next summer it'll pour more humidity into it.  You'll go nuts if you want it to hold dead-nuts steady.  You're fighting a losing battle.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patience and flexibility are key when using a desktop. Like Peter said they are a biotch to keep steady, though again Bovedas do the best job keeping it as steady as possible, but you will still see fluctuation. Coolidor and wineadors and tupperdor do the best job at staying solid and steady but even those can have some variation sometimes. Not wigging out when it happens helps a lot and just rolling with it. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options

got it, come around Black Friday time I will be looking hard for a wineadors type storage maybe get lucky and catch a good deal.  

Thanks

• Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Home Depot was the cheapest I found.
  • Options
    Good to know I will keep an out for one there around then. Its 2 min from house.
  • Options
    Well two day in and humidity is hold at 65% to 69% I noticed it kind of fluctuation, but cigars are smoking great all good burns. Thanks again for all the help guys. 
  • Options
    chipotlebowlchipotlebowl Posts: 1
    Hi All, I recently purchased a 100 cigar capacity humidor. Link to the exact humidor is below.

I have been struggling to get the humidity right for weeks and I'm about ready to punt it through a window.

I first just followed the instructions which directed me to place a shot glass of distilled water in it for a while with the humidor puck that came with it. I did this and also put 4 Boveda 69% packs in too. I left it for a week and it never got above the low 60s %.

I then wiped down the inside with a damp cloth that i had wet with distilled water. I allowed it to dry, then put the Boveda packs back in and left it. Over the past week it fluctuates around 65% and 69% but never holds. It finally held at 69% so i put about 10 cigars on the top shelf and it went down to 60% and is now fluctuating between 60% and 62% but won't get any higher.

Any suggestions on what I should try next? Do i need more Boveda packs for a 100 count humidor? I read that you need 1 per 25 cigar capacity. Should i wipe it down again? I've seen some people put some painters tape around where the lid closes to ensure a seal. What do you all recommend?

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated!
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did the painters tape and believe I had 5-6 boveda packs. 
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @chipotlebowl, putting in the 69% Bovedas during seasoning limits the RH to 69% as the Bovedas will absorb the extra humidity.  I like to use the 84% seasoning Boveda packs and just wait two weeks, but you can season with just distilled water.

Sounds like things have stabilized at a pretty good RH, though, 60 - 62% isn't bad, especially if you're reading with a calibrated digital hygrometer.  I'd wait and see, when you add the cigars you expect a drop in humidity and with the 69% packs in there it should come back up.  I like my sticks on the lower end and use the 65% packs so they're ready to smoke and I think they burn better.

You can try the dollar bill or the flashlight test to check your seals if you think that's a problem. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )