Home Non Cigar Related

Processing fees from loan companies?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
My son needed to make a payment on his truck, so he gave us the money and we called to make a payment from our debit card.
The guy on the phone tells us how much the payment is and then says,"Plus the $10 processing fee."
Come again?
The what?
You are going to charge me $10 for taking the payment?

Is this common?
My car payments are taken direct from my bank, so I don't think we've ever run into this.
According to them, everyone charges a processing fee for taking payments over the phone or processing a check.

Seriously?
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Common practice for numerous companies these days including utility companies. Another way to get $ out of people

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their excuse is that it involved a human on the other end of the phone versus the automatic payments that are computer to computer.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wife runs into this all the time.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, if I can't physically log into the account online to make the payment myself I almost always get them to do a "One time courtesy wave" of the fee using the whole I would if I could - don't want it to be late song & dance. Have your wife call and put on the charm 😉
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    It depends on how you pay and your bank.  With BofA if I make a wire transfer I get charged, if I write myself a check and deposit it there is no fee.  My credit union does not charge processing fees on anything.  If I pay my utilities with a check or use a debit for the online payment option there is no fee.  If I use a credit card I get two fees, a processing fee and what I call a FU fee.  It's a you used a credit card instead of cash fee.  I'm old so I mail or if near by hand deliver checks.  As stated if you have a good track record, the fees usually can be waved if you complain.  We check and read all the fine print to know exactly what we are paying for.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    waive
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on how you pay and your bank.  With BofA if I make a wire transfer I get charged, if I write myself a check and deposit it there is no fee.  My credit union does not charge processing fees on anything.  If I pay my utilities with a check or use a debit for the online payment option there is no fee.  If I use a credit card I get two fees, a processing fee and what I call a FU fee.  It's a you used a credit card instead of cash fee.  I'm old so I mail or if near by hand deliver checks.  As stated if you have a good track record, the fees usually can be waved if you complain.  We check and read all the fine print to know exactly what we are paying for.
    When did Colleen allow you access to more than lunch money?!?
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AT&T had the chutzpah to send me a bill with a $5 late fee added. The invoice was late getting to me due to our changing of address a few months ago. 

I wrote on the invoice that I wasn’t in the habit of paying added fees of any kind and that if they’d send me a corrected invoice I’d be happy to pay it. I then mailed the invoice back to them, making it even later. 

They sent a corrected invoice which i then paid. Sometimes you just gotta get your hackles up to straighten out these dummies....   B)
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posted recently about ATT and DTV problem. ATT tried to charge me a $5 fee because THEY were having a problem with online payments. It was refunded.

Some of these companies reasons for service fees is pure BS. Ask every time you see one.
    peter4jc said:
    waive
    Thank you Peter, I will not make that mistake again.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    peter4jc said:
    waive
    Thank you Peter, I will not make that mistake again.
    You weren't alone.  That girl with the funny fingernails waved too.

BTW, I got hit w/ a $5 'counter fee' at the DMV today.  It was awesome.  The really rad part is that I was doing something they won't let you do online.  
    Did you pay it?
    MOW badge received.
    Did you pay it?
    No choice...  I figured I'll just charge you a $5 service fee on your next coffee order.
    Well I guess its back to swill for me.  We had a good run, I sure will miss the good stuff but oh well.
    MOW badge received.
    I was going to joke about raising the price by $5, and that makes me wonder why those places don't do that... instead of telling you something they know will pisss the average guy off, why don't they just bury it in the cost of goods sold.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    I was going to joke about raising the price by $5, and that makes me wonder why those places don't do that... instead of telling you something they know will pisss the average guy off, why don't they just bury it in the cost of goods sold.
    I think because most of the companies mentioned are rate controlled by every level of government, and these charges are just a money making scam to get around them.
    The real answer is the simplest one, they are stupid.  The "deciders" are so far disconnected from normal people that they ultimately make stupid decisions.  
    MOW badge received.