Home Pipes

Why is tobacco stored in airtight containers?

bigdaddysmoke001bigdaddysmoke001 Posts: 1
edited November 2018 in Pipes
Hello everybody. I have been smoking, but keep it in the packet only. Can anybody tell me about whether I should keep it in the packet or airtight container because I am confused? Also, I want to know whether anybody knows about bigdaddysmoke or not? It is a site which sells cigarette and its accessories. I want to know more about it.
Post edited by bigdaddysmoke001 on

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's a cigarette?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did I know it was a first post?
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    First off, welcome to the forum. Glad to see a new piper here.

Air exchange means relative humidity exchange. Airtight containers create a micro climate to keep your tobacco at your preferred humidity and to some degree, temperature. Both of these metrics are imperative for a good smoke. If you are smoking only a single blend one container at a time, your local ambient humidity may keep your tobacco in an acceptable range for longer or may make it dry out faster. It is my experience that most blends come too wet to smoke well anyway so most things benefit from some open air but likely not as long as you are giving them.

To answer whether you should change your storage habits, it's entirely dependent on your preferences. If you feel that your tobacco is too dry for a good smoke by the time you get to the end of a packet, I suggest splitting the packet up when you open it. Leave some in and transfer a portion to a mason jar (like grandma used for her pickles and jellies) which will act as that micro climate I mentioned. If you like it the way it is, there's no reason to store it airtight.

I'm not familiar with big daddy smoke but I generally avoid cigarette retailers because a majority of what they market as pipe tobacco is really just roll your own cigarette tobacco relabeled as pipe tobacco to avoid extra taxes. But if you like it, buy it up and burn it up. 

Also, forum names are permanent so if you want your handle to be a cigarette retailers business name, more power to you. If not, you might want to just start over with a new forum account and handle.
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang it. I didn't catch that before. I guess I'm an idiot and was too eager to run my mouth
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've mentioned this in years past, but it always seems that in November these kinds of things show up, more than usual.  For some reason, in November in particular, we get a lot of posts from the unenlightened who assume that this place is some sort of club for cigarette smokers.

Attention all idiots, cigars and pipes are not cigarettes.  Most of us do not smoke cigarettes at all, though many of us once did.  

But now,  :s

we don't.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
     I generally avoid cigarette retailers because a majority of what they market as pipe tobacco is really just roll your own cigarette tobacco relabeled as pipe tobacco to avoid extra taxes. But if you like it, buy it up and burn it up. 

Yes, this. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to know whether anybody knows about bigdaddysmoke or not? It is a site which sells cigarette and its accessories. I want to know more about it.
    Welcome to the forum.

I thinki heard that site was compromised by hackers.  Use at your own risk.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.