Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Tabletop Games

2»

Comments

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, we play hearts, spades, sometimes eucher.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We do play Cribbage quite a bit, but sometimes it's nice to have something a bit more engaging and abstract. We have been looking at a lot of co-op games.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Euchre!!! I need 2 1/2 more players.  My wife kinda knows it.  But it's such a weird Indiana/Oregon regional game that few play it.

At any rate...I came on here to point out that a really fun and easy game, Suspend, is on sale as a Black Friday week deal today on Amazon.  It's great if you're playing a game where a couple people get eliminated and have to wait on others to finish.  It's kinda like Jenga with wires.  It's almost half price under the Melissa and Doug toys.

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    We picked up "Skull" a couple days ago. Fantastic little game. Only takes 5 or so minutes to play, has almost no setup, and the artwork is very eye-catching.

Then one of the guys at work gave me "Secret Hitler". Looks like a pretty fun party game. I just need to get some people together to try it out.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not very cerebral, but we always have a blast playing Liar's Dice. 
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    My family and I played "Ticket to Ride" for the first time last night. Great game, thanks for the recommendation Wayne @Wylaff

• Options
    If you pick up the 1910 expansion, it replaces all of the cards with standard sized versions. It’s definitely worth it if you play more than a couple times.

• Options
    Thanks Wayne. Might be worth picking up. I think we'll play this game quite a bit. 

• Options
    Christmas update:

We picked up House of Danger, which is based of the choose your own adventure books from the 70’s. I’m excited to try it out when I have a couple hours to myself.

Lovecraft Letter - It’s a remodel of the Loveletter game with a Cthulhu theme. It’s extremely well made, fast to play, and the whole family loves it.

Civilization: A New Dawn - a scaled down version of the Civ games. @MrsWylaff thought it looked like fun, so we’re going to give it a go.

Mysterium - A bunch of psychics are trying to solve a murder. One player is a ghost who can only communicate with them in dreams (cards with abstracted art on them). We’re all looking forward to that one.

Jurassic Park Danger! - This was “Santa’s” gift to the family. Everyone plays the original characters from the movie, and they have to reactivate the park and get to the choppa. One player controls all of the dinos that are trying to eat them. I think I’m more excited than the rest for this one.

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mostly the wife and i play cards sitting out on the back patio, Usually we play 
    Kings in the corner. Occasionally we play UNO till someone gets mad..
    we have on rare occasions played Munchkin with the kids 
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked up Pandemic.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I got 3 expansions for Superfight for Christmas, but I have to have the right group to play it with or it's not so great.  But I'm looking forward to the 80s and 90s expansions in particular, along with The Hero Machine expansion, which kind of seems to operate like a free reset once a game.  I like to argue and so do my kids, but my wife can't stand the game.  Maybe at New Years.

My son got Tides of Time a little before Christmas, but we just now played it.  It's a super simplified 2-player only version of 7 Wonders.  You have a deck of cards and are building a city for points over the course of 3 rounds.  It wasn't the most fun game, but would be good if you have a big multi-player game with lots of time between turns and a couple of you want a side-game going.  Otherwise, I don't honestly see it getting played all that much.  But it's small and portable without a ton of bits and pieces to get lost so it would travel well.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    Up and down the river anyone?  

We have a group that plays Euchre and 500.
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got hive for Christmas. This game looks like it has some friendship altering potential
  • Options
    I got hive for Christmas. This game looks like it has some friendship altering potential
    That's one of my favorite quick games. I love how compact everything is, and the fact that it's waterproof and board-less makes it great for pubs and hangouts as well. It's like if dominoes and chess had a baby.

• Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
     It's like if dominoes and chess had a baby.
    That's exactly the thought I had when reading the play instructions. Do you have the expansion pieces?
  • Options
    Wylaff said:
     It's like if dominoes and chess had a baby.
    That's exactly the thought I had when reading the play instructions. Do you have the expansion pieces?
    Just the base unfortunately. The travel set has all of the expansions, but I love the size and heft of the standard version.