Home Cigar 101

Humidor help

I got a new humidor a few days a go I did the wet wipe like I seen people do on YouTube. I filled the humidifier left wet sponge inside resting on a cap so not touching wood. And it has been setting in my basement so in a dark cool place
I have a digital hygrometer and after 3 days it is reading 96 how do I get it to stabilize so I can start adding my cigars.

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How wet did you wipe it down?
    Damp cloth, not wet cloth.
    What is your area? You on a coast or high humidity area?
    Are you sure your hygrrometer is calibrated?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • I used a wet sponge to where the wood got darker. And the hygrometer reads 70% in the bag with my cigars but in box it reads 96%. I live in Illinois. And I left the sponge in the box on a cap so sponge was not touching the wood I just checked it again today and still reads 96 I have a digital hygrometer and there's no way to calibrate it I have two of them I placed one in the box one in the bag of my cigars and I swapped them out just to see if there's anything different with them and still the one in the bag with cigars is 70% and the one in the humidor is 96%
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A search on seasoning a humidor will show you that this is normal, once the wood has taken all its going to take it will be high.  When the water source is removed and  the humidifier is added it will start to stabilize.  when the inside is not soaked anymore add cigars.  this will cause it to fully stabilize (if the process was done correctly).  Again all of this information is readily available doing a search a few minutes of reading.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Sounds like you got your humidor too wet.But PAt May be right leave it alone and see if it comes down if not then leave it open for a while or put dry rice in it. With the wipe down method you just barely want to get it wet. 
    The best way is to just put a bowl of distilled water in it and leave it alone for a few days. Maybe a week depending on the ambient humidity. 
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seasoning process can take a week or more.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two weeks is better, keep em in the bag a bit longer.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your the practical type, like us, buy the largest cooler you can find, put your cigars in it and take a picture. You'll have aomething to reminisce about

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Porkenchop89Porkenchop89 Posts: 3
    edited December 2018
    Ok the inside is dry so I should just wait a few more days then add my cigars then it should stabilize to where it should be. I will check it again tomorrow see what it has to say