Home Pipes

John Cottons

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
By the descriptions of the John Cottons pipe tobaccos, I should love them.  Anybody been smoking them?  Do they live up to the hype?  
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never tried them but a few people whose opinions I respect have said they are good blends
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear.  Pipe tobaccos are funny things, I tend to either really love them, or throw them away.  Can't quite put my finger on it, depth of flavor I guess.  After I found McClelland's tobaccos nearly everything I got came from them.  Always good.  Now, I have to resume the search.  Thanks for the answer.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I definitely understand what you mean by depth. I hear gl Pease and Seattle pipe club have won a few converts since the McClelland crisis and I think those might be up your alley for the depth
    edited January 2019
    Seattle pipe club definitely has my attention.  Recently got some of the Plum Pudding Special Reserve, great stuff!  

I'm going to have to look at G.L. Pease again, I know I've had something from them, and seem to remember thinking that I'd try it again, but I can't remember off the top of my head what it was.  I'll remember when I see it.  

*went and looked it up, it was "Gaslight".  

• dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love all of the Seattle Pipe Club blends that I have tried. Deception Pass is a good English blend if you haven’t tried it. 

I opened a tin of John Cotton’s #1when I saw this thread. It’s kind of light for an English blend and a bit one dimensional, but it’s pretty good. I would prefer it to be a little heavier on the latikia. I have a tin or JC’s Smyrna that I’m excited to try...I’ve always been a sucker for Turkish tobaccos. I will let you know how it is when I open it

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, the Smyrna is the one I really wonder about, I've always loved Turkish tobacco.