Home Cigar 101
Options

I did a Seasoning/Humidor mistake. Can I resolve it?

7uiggi7uiggi Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
Hello Cigar fans! I'm new in this world and trying to understand how can I seasoned my first new humidor. 

Steps that I did: 

1. Wiped the inside of the humidor with a sponge anddistilled water and waited 3 days to fully dry. 
  2. (error) Applied the Xikar PG solution which appears in the photo directly to all the inside of the humidor with a sponge with no water and waited for 2 days to fully dry. 
  3. I bought the Boveda pack 69% and placed the cigars on the humidor. 

What I didn't know because I didn't read the instructions is that PG solution is for the Humidifier, not for the humidor. 

Do you think the humidor and cigars are trash right now or that PG solution is safe for the humidor and cigars? 

Sorry for my English is not good. 

Thanks in advance, 

:D:D:D  

Comments

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brother I cant tell from the pictures if those are real Cohiba's,  maybe @miller65rod can but if there is any doubt I would take them and that Xicar humidifier and put them in an airtight baggie or tupperware until you get your humidor figured out
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just clean it with a damp cloth and then let it air dry, then wipe it down again with a damp cloth and again, let it air dry. You may have to repeat as necessary.
    Do not get it too damp, you only want to clean the PG fluid. Not that it will hurt much, but it's best to let the wood naturally absorb moisture. 

Then once it is clean and it's air dried, then start the seasoning properly and away you go.

You're fine, just gonna take a little longer.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Thank you for your suggestions. I'll do the process tomorrow at morning. Appreciate it! 

I think the Cohibas are legit. It comes in a very nice 25 Genios Maduro 5 box with origin national warranty seal, certificate of authenticity, paper, wooden sheet and it looks really awesome! If they are not legit I really don't care hahaha I will smoke no matter what haahahaha!! 

You can keep comment about it. I like to see all your opinions! 

:p  :p:p

• Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    They are not real

Those bands are terrible fakes is all I can say.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    Wow! Unbeliavable @miller65rod I think in Cuba, they produce each year more fake Cohiba's than real ones. 

I bought these in Habana Vieja with my private tour guide. 1 -25 genios box Maduro 5 together with my father in law in $170/box. And is bull$h!+ wow! I'm asking who is the real company or person who made this fake cigars??
  • Options
    I will take more photos of the Fohibas today for a better knowledge for the community. That happens when you're new on the  Cigars world visiting Cuba and just say: Hey I want Cohiba!!!  ;);)

Thanks for your contribution!

• Options
    A real Cohiba Maduro. You can compare yourself

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options

There we have them, the real Fohiba Cigars. 
     :| 

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm...I'll let those with greater knowledge respond.  

I have doubts.  

They may be Fohibas, (faux-hiba) but I'm not sure they're Co-hibas.  But there are folks here with WAY more knowledge than I have in that area, but those bands look poorly faked to me.  But, I could easily be wrong.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    The bands are horrible and the seegars are even worse. That triple cap is hilarious

Not sure what they are but I know for sure those are not real cohiba's

Hate to burst your bubble bud but they are not real. It happens. Let this be lesson learned and I always say only buy from a Habano's dealer or a trusted source. Never buy off the street or any shop not authorized to sell Habano's.

Smoke one and if it catches on fire then it likely has a tampon string in it. You never know what they throw inside fakes.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hello @7uiggi.
    You take good pictures. Would you be willing to sacrifice one of your fohibas and perform an autopsy with photos? We are always curious about what's inside a fake cuban. It's probably just inferior tobacco and scraps of tobacco but there are stories of all manner of non-tobacco trash and junk inside fakes. And since you are thinking about smoking them, maybe you should take a look for your own safety. I know I would. 

Click on the video below to get an idea of how to do it. 

https://video.cigaraficionado.com/play/id/5056548205001/name/Counterfeit_Cuban_Cigars_Part_II:_Cutting_Open_Counterfeits
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • Options
    I like your idea @Bob_Luken Most probably tommorow I'm going to destroy one of them in a proper way to see what is inside of a Fohiba with photos for everyone!!  :#

Another photo below (the cigar on the right is not covered by the ZipLoc ...

• Options
    HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    You're taking the news much better than I would... although I have to say those are some of the worst fakes I've seen in a while  :)
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some ocean front property for sale, maybe you'd be interested.  It's in western Arizona with spectacular views, right on the water.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Haha @peter4jc not interested so much. I have a real one in Puerto Rico.   But thanks though.  ;) 
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7uiggi said:

There we have them, the real Fohiba Cigars. 
     :| 

Eww yeah sorry brother. Those aren’t looking good. 
  • Options
    7uiggi said:
    I like your idea @Bob_Luken Most probably tommorow I'm going to destroy one of them in a proper way to see what is inside of a Fohiba with photos for everyone!!  :#

Awesome. I’ve seen some wild stuff in some. But hey if you cut it up and it is actually long filler and doesn’t have any weird stuff in it, hell  give one a try. You never know. They could be genuine fake cubans. 
  • Options
    Oh yeah back to your original question. I doubt the solution will hurt the humi. I personally prefer the wait it out method. Put a bowl of distilled water in it and just leave it alone for a week. Then look to see what the humidity is. Once it holds 70 or above then it’s done and you can put your cigars in it. 
  • Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    The space between the top of the head and the gold band is too small and theres no hologram on there. The triple cap looks a bit messy too. Just because it's fake doesn't mean it's not cuban though.
  • Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    I spray this same exact solutions every so often right onto the wood of my humidor to help increase humidity when needed.  Never had a problem.
  • Options
    tlnaylor34tlnaylor34 Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Rhamlin said:
    7uiggi said:

Awesome. I’ve seen some wild stuff in some. But hey if you cut it up and it is actually long filler and doesn’t have any weird stuff in it, hell  give one a try. You never know. They could be genuine fake cubans. 
    here are mine. sorry,  they are reconditioning as I brought them back from France so they look a little haggard