Home Cigar 101
Options

Aging Cigars

2»

Comments

• Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

found this article on aging. I've been setting some aside for aging, but it will be at least another 6 months before i touch them...o well, guess I have to buy some more :) .

https://cigarsense.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=815d677a7d35ccd0b2a9771d5&id=fa65bb07ea&e=14ac02d65e

• Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

By the time the cigar is rolled, the aging process is long over. But we're talking about the cigar, not the whole leaf itself and the actual aging process the tobacco undergoes. There is a second time period when the various tobaccos of each cigar blends and mingles together, which takes time to fully establish a finished profile. Even though the tobacco isn't really aging, it is still transitioning with time. I think it's just a common saying since time is passing and we therefore say it is "aged", like all of us who are no younger now after having read all of this. I like to say "I've rested my cigars for 4 years and 3 months", but then I might seem a little posh to somebody who doesn't understand cigar lingo. I mean, nobody decides to sit down and 'age' before walking around the other half of the mall. We certainly don't say many things correctly, but as long as the point gets across, all is well.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never aged anything on purpose. But,..... If I buy more than I smoke, it happens without giving it much thought. Some guys do plan, and leave a box, or most of a box, alone on purpose. And some guys buy a box for anniversary purposes, and smoke one out of that box every year to celebrate a yearly occasion. And if we are talking semantics, aging is not the verb usually I use, but I do use it's past tense to describe whether I perceive that a cigar has aged well, or not, and only if a few years has past already. I recommend some sort of sticker on the cello, or you'll forget, and you'll just be guessing.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

@Bob_Luken said:

I recommend some sort of sticker on the cello, or you'll forget, and you'll just be guessing.

Truth be told, I'm always guessing. I date the bottom of boxes w/ a Sharpie but then when the box is half empty I'll move the singles and toss the box, which means I have to guess because I forget; I always tell myself I'll remember but I always forget.

So at that point I remind myself that the exact age of the cigar is irrelevant; who cares and why should it matter if the cigar is 3 years old, or 4 years? I really need to improve my denoting who gave me a cigar, but it's age? A trivial and meaningless bit of info. Granted, it's fun to evaluate a cigar at different stages of aging. And maybe, if at one point we notice no further improvement we'll move them in a more regular rotation to burn 'em up.

Also, in regard to cellophane... don't put a lot of stock in how yellow it is. There's more than one kind of cellophane being used and not all of it yellows with age. I have cigars from when I first started smoking five years ago and the cello is still clear.

Edit: none of this is directed at Mike-Bob, he just sparked a few thoughts is all.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis