Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Can someone explain the Trades, Passes and Bombs category?

I am new to the forum, any advice on this category will help, thanks.

Answers

• Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stupid me stupid head I am.

"GOLLUM!"

Be quiet, Gollum.
    I mean, "Smeagle."

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start by introducing yourself, something more than one liners so folks don't think your a troll or a dry beggar.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Hop on the vHerf and get to know some of the incorrigible members here. Tonight night be a good time.
  • Options
    HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    BKDog said:

Just don't mention "bomb' to the Post Office people. In fact, cigars aren't technically supposed to be mailed via USPS, so just don't say anything, smile, and click the correct button to ship the package when asked about fragile and perishable items.

Really?  for my last 2 I took my travel humidor in, got a flat rate box at the counter and very obviously put them in.  Maybe the USPS that I go to just doesn't care?  Perhaps I will be more careful in the future.

What do you all do for shipping?  Just normal flat rate stuff or do you have shipping subscriptions?  I see a lot of people post tracking numbers before they actually ship anything.
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
  • Options
    Hawkeye said:
    BKDog said:

Just don't mention "bomb' to the Post Office people. In fact, cigars aren't technically supposed to be mailed via USPS, so just don't say anything, smile, and click the correct button to ship the package when asked about fragile and perishable items.

Really?  for my last 2 I took my travel humidor in, got a flat rate box at the counter and very obviously put them in.  Maybe the USPS that I go to just doesn't care?  Perhaps I will be more careful in the future.

What do you all do for shipping?  Just normal flat rate stuff or do you have shipping subscriptions?  I see a lot of people post tracking numbers before they actually ship anything.

Not sure. All I know is what my local PO told me, the guy is cool so he doesn't care. I would explain more but it appears I've ticked off the moderation team here and been selected to have my posts checked before you see them. Maybe I am just not fully accepted yet until I get on the Vherf and shoot the breeze with people, but I'm not that type of guy and dislike video chats. Oh well. Outcast it is until the day I am finally a level 5 accepted poster.

:)
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was told that it’s legal, but requires a signature for delivery, supposedly to make sure the recipient is over 18? You can ship cigars, but are supposed to declare them as such. I go to a self serve kiosk, so don’t usually declare what is in the box.
  • Options
    I just did some reading up and "currently" you are allowed to ship them domestically. But, some restrictions do exist on cigarettes and other products like smokeless tobacco. https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm
    Ans personally, I've gotten mixed signals from USPS, it seems as though they can just make things up from day to day, which is why I choose to just be silent and ship without asking questions.

• Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I use the usps flat rate boxes but pay shipping/postage at self serve kiosk. Price is usually $3.50-$4.50 or thereabouts instead of $7.50 flat rate at counter..
    *This concludes this public service announcement and you will be returned to your regular programming now*
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to have to look into that, Gary.  Having sent thousands of boxes out over the years, something tells me it might not be so.  Are you using actual USPS FRB's, or your own box?  Generally, if I screw up and affix postage for one type of box and use another, their system has spit it out and charged me the difference.  I purchase/print all my USPS labels at home, and find it hard to believe that a kiosk is going to let me send the same box for $4 less.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere, a couple years back, there was a thread concerning USPS shipping rules and cigars.  There was a link to the regulation, which clearly allows shipping between adults.  Several members here had to show copies at their local Post Office's to thuggish self-appointed guardians of authoritarianism who didn't know the rules they were supposed to be operating under.  

I've always wished, and still do wish, that the mythical Land Of The Free that I was taught about in grade school really existed.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    I use PayPal Shipping to pay for and print my shipping labels at home. I go on the USPS site and order their free Flat Rate shipping materials, small flat rate boxes and the padded envelopes that you can never find at the PO, and then affix the label to the package and drop it off on the counter at my local PO in the morning on my way to work.

I did use signature required on one of my shipments to foil the porch pirates, but that service costs extra and I normally don't do that.

The PayPal shipping link is actually cheaper than buying postage on the USPS site in some cases, and since I pay with PayPal I'd rather just do it all in one spot.  Here's the link:  https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere, a couple years back, there was a thread concerning USPS shipping rules and cigars.  There was a link to the regulation, which clearly allows shipping between adults.  Several members here had to show copies at their local Post Office's to thuggish self-appointed guardians of authoritarianism who didn't know the rules they were supposed to be operating under.  

I've always wished, and still do wish, that the mythical Land Of The Free that I was taught about in grade school really existed.  
    Finally the voice of reason, I was one of those people.  Shipping cigars is one hundred percent legal.  Only fedex took a personal stand and won't ship them if they know cigars are in the box.  Again this is a fedex personal stance, not an actual legal one.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well-played, Señor Thompson...
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    I've never seen a self serve postal machine before. Does it try to sell you stamps after each transaction?

• Options
    We have one at my PO, it has a scale and stamps, I may have used it once.  Handy for when the PO isn't open.  It's right next to the bin drop for packages for after-hours.  Looks something like this.

• Options
    BKDog said:
    I've never seen a self serve postal machine before. Does it try to sell you stamps after each transaction?

I think you can buy packs of stamps, I'm not sure.  You can weigh and buy postage for letters and boxes but only accepts plastic,  no cash. 
  • Options
    Oh, one of those would be so nice! We had several Red Box machines in our area, but some idiots kept punching the screens, so maybe that's why they don't have them. Either that or we're just too hillbilly out in the sticks, which is also possible.
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    We have one at my PO, it has a scale and stamps, I may have used it once.  Handy for when the PO isn't open.  It's right next to the bin drop for packages for after-hours.  Looks something like this.

Thats the one!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you ship anything right now, USPS is still screwed up from the weather. A package I sent to a friend in Ohio is "delayed" in Memphis.
    Not sure how you get to Memphis, going from Portland, OR to Ohio.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.