Home Non Cigar Related

Taste Buds

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, this is a new one on me. The taste buds in/on my tongue don't work anymore. Got a clue when half a bottle of lite salt on noodles produced nothing. Looked it up and there seems to be a few names for it, and all of the descriptions say they will return. It is just a very strange feeling and lack of sensation. Been trying all sorts of food to see how bad it is, and I found out, not bad enough to eat okra.

Comments

• HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    But if you break Okra and then drop it in the deep fryer for a bit... it becomes delicious.

That is interesting.  So are you going to avoid smoking any nice cigars until your taste returns?  Seems like kind of a waste otherwise.
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is amazing. just ate a banana and no flavor on the front of the mouth.
    Ate a Halo and the flavor is all rear and top of the mouth.
    @peter4jc I drink your coffee and I must say it is so good that it floods the mouth.
    Cigars don't seem to be affected because of where the flavors hit. It is a little lighter but the flavors are still there.
    Gonna try one of my granddaughters dill pickles later. They are the strongest I have ever had and I have never been able to eat more then one.
    This is very interesting.....
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you've been taking Zinc lozenges for a cold, that can really dull the taste buds.  Hoping for a speedy recovery.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    edited February 2019
    Yakster said:
    If you've been taking Zinc lozenges for a cold, that can really dull the taste buds.  Hoping for a speedy recovery.
    Thanks.
    Not dulled, just plain gone.

Ate one of my granddaughters dill pickles. Nothing until it reached the back of my mouth and then hit the throat.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Yakster said:
    Thanks.
    Not dulled, just plain gone.

Ate one of my granddaughters dill pickles. Nothing until it reached the back of my mouth and then hit the throat.
    Uh-oh.  They're migrating south!  And you know where that ends...……...no country for tastebuds, that's for sure.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Have you tried citrus fruits? I know that when many cancer patients lose the ability to taste, one of the things they are able to taste or citrus fruits, specifically oranges.

While you're waiting on your taste buds to return, and you want a cigar to enjoy, you can send your cigars to me to smoke and I'll describe all the flavors for you.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are all kinds of articles online about this, and it's an interesting subject. You could temporarily lose taste and smell from having a cold, eating and drinking very hot foods and beverages, and not scraping your tongue when you perform your oral hygiene routine. You could get the taste buds back in 7 to 10 days, as I've read...but I wouldn't know for sure since I usually gargle with peroxide daily and brush my tongue and that has worked well enough for me.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've gone taste-blind

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

Well Well Well
    Zinc in my denture adhesive.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Well Well Well
    Zinc in my denture adhesive.

Better than rat poison. :s
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    edited February 2019
    They are back, with a vengeance, a serious vengeance.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    If you've been taking Zinc lozenges for a cold, that can really dull the taste buds.  Hoping for a speedy recovery
    Nice call, Chris

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.