Home Cigar 101

New to the forum and cigars

Hi I'm fairly new to cigars I've done some trying and figuring out at my local humidors but I find it daunting to really have any idea what I'm getting into.  I am more of a casual smoker. I'll have a cigar at work or hanging out on the back porch.  I like the deadwood fat bottom Betty's the isla del sol and isla del sol Maduro, the macanudo M, the macanudo inspirado, the san cristobal elegancia. I'm looking for a nice easy smoking cigar to take on vacation with my friend and father in law that dont smoke. Any suggestions
Tagged:

Comments

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For someone not to into smoking, try the milder cigars, There is a lot of good stuff out there, Hemmingway Short story might be good, most Connecticut wrappers are mild, try a few different ones that you like and share. Also introduce yourself on the Newbie thread 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • CigarsonistCigarsonist Posts: 267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For someone not to into smoking, try the milder cigars, There is a lot of good stuff out there, Hemmingway Short story might be good, most Connecticut wrappers are mild, try a few different ones that you like and share. Also introduce yourself on the Newbie thread 
    Listen to this guy, not me lol 
  • KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    A nice starter cigar is a Romeo 1875.  Good flavors and shouldn’t overwhelm or make them sick.  If they prefer infused the Tabak Especial is a little sweet with excellent flavors. Perfect for a morning with a nice cup of coffee. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Listen to this guy, not me lol 
    I knew you make joke. LOL
    You already like the san cristobal elegancia and I think it would be a fine one to share with your friends and relatives. @KenpoKnight mentioned the Romeo 1875 (Romeo y Julieta 1875) and as I recall, that would be fine one to share as well. I'll add Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur to the list as well. 

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that if somebody gave me an infused cigar to smoke as my first, I wouldn't like cigars. But that's just me I suppose. Looking back, the Romeo Y Julieta maduro reserve and Rocky Patel vintage 1990 both served me well as introductory cigars and I still keep some in the humidor after nearly twenty years.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Willy_MNWilly_MN Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some good suggestions so far. I might add the Oliva O to the list. Also agree with @BKDog...the Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 is a very smooth, medium bodied smoke. Have a good trip!
    Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations.
    #f**kyourhashtags
    Furyous66 said:
    Hi I'm fairly new to cigars I've done some trying and figuring out at my local humidors but I find it daunting to really have any idea what I'm getting into. 
    Welcome to the forum @Furyous66 We have a group of regulars here who are great. We have all been where you are. The choices seem endless. I've said this over and over but I will repeat it now,.... You can learn more, and learn it faster here than you will on your own or at your local cigar bar. Enjoy the journey. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Furyous66 said:
     I'm looking for a nice easy smoking cigar to take on vacation with my friend and father in law that dont smoke. Any suggestions
    Anything you like since they don't smoke.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • CigarsonistCigarsonist Posts: 267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t listen to these Jokers! Tip number one Money=enjoyment. Find the most expensive cigar you can, if you can’t find any expensive cigars take 10-$20 bills roll them up in smoke them...you will not be disappointed. Tip number two always look for cigars that have gold foil on them that’s how you know they are quality. Here’s my final tip, for a true luxury smoking experience bite a small hole in the middle and light both ends. It’s called T smoking...it’s how the true cigar enthusiasts smoke theirs.
    Best advice you’re gonna get right here. Surprised you’re not charging for this level of knowledge
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CAO black. 
    Excalibur
    Fuentes 858
    Padron 3000