Options

Baffled: Humidor/Hygometer

2»

Answers

• Options
    ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    ZAP said:
    Rarely have I seen people like yourself concerned that someone shouldn't be posting a question because they haven't been involved enough in posting comments over the course of their membership.

Redacted

Fair enough.  Perhaps I should have learned more over ten years but again it hasn't been ten years of pouring through threads.  It's been occasionally dropping in and reading a few threads.  I honestly have never heard of storing in tupperware long term.  I thought the plastic wasn't good for long term storage.  For the record the battery was the issue.   Humidity levels are reading correctly now in the bag at 69% with the beads in there.  I'm just going to leave them until I get some Boveda to put in the tuperware.

It makes no sense for me to try and keep a humidor humidified in my climate over the winter.  I've never been able to do it and usually only have a handful of cigars at that time anyhow.  Thus, I gave up and just re-season it every spring.   I guess I still don't know if that is bad to do (letting it dry out and then re-season).   I'm going tuperware anyhow.
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    Spin it any way you want.  If somebody was a long-time member on any forum I've ever been a part of but only shined around when they wanted something (or wanted someone else to do their thinking for them) they would get the same flack you got here.  And if I was a frequent flier on your beer forum and somebody came along and said "I've read and searched but couldn't find an answer and I don't know when I should pitch my yeast" even though that was discussed every stinking week, I'd give him the same flack.  Forums are primarily meant to be a group discussing various aspects of whatever subject that forum centers on, and secondarily a place where a noob comes for answers, gets answers and rarely if ever comes back to contribute.  You feel you have little to contribute cigar-wise?  Well we have plenty of outstanding members who do little beside post pics of what they're smoking.  You could be a giver here, but it looks like you want to be a taker.
    Also I guess that is the difference between us.  In our example if I knew something about pitching yeast (which I don't) I'd just toss in a quick answer and help the dude rather than act pompous and tell them they are jackasses for asking such a dumb question.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZAP, I was reserving those comments but I hit the post button instead of the save draft button. I intended to let my thoughts simmer before I let my words fly.  But apparently you read all that before I edited it.  
  • Options
    Bob_Luken said:
    ZAP, I was reserving those comments but I hit the post button instead of the save draft button. I intended to let my thoughts simmer before I let my words fly.  But apparently you read all that before I edited it.  
    That's all right.  Nothing terrible there.   Like I said I'll take responsibility for not paying closer attention and being stupid (I should have thought to change the battery myself).  I don't agree with the other posters thoughts that I'd be more worthy to post if I tossed up some photos of cigars or whatever.   But that's fine.  I see you are generally positive in your comments to people like me so no problem if you got frustrated a bit with my ineptness (no sarcism intended)
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody is talking about your worth or not being worthy.   SHEEESH!   This is a community of cigar smokers - we sometimes travel thousands of miles just to be with one another and smoke cigars - if you want to be part of a community, great.  If you want to hang around and learn more, great.  If you had been visiting just once or twice in the last month, we would've gotten to know you and you would've seen there are 14 different threads about storing cigars in tupperware, and you would've been able to figure out your dilemma on your own and rub elbows with the other fine people here.

BTW, I don't pretend to speak for the rest of the forum members - they're all great, so don't let me keep you from chiming in and becoming a part of this wonderful family.  But I suppose now that you learned about tupperware, you'll go hang with your friendly craft beer brewers and we won't see you until next year when you need something. 
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    Nobody is talking about your worth or not being worthy.   SHEEESH!   This is a community of cigar smokers - we sometimes travel thousands of miles just to be with one another and smoke cigars - if you want to be part of a community, great.  If you want to hang around and learn more, great.  If you had been visiting just once or twice in the last month, we would've gotten to know you and you would've seen there are 14 different threads about storing cigars in tupperware, and you would've been able to figure out your dilemma on your own and rub elbows with the other fine people here.

BTW, I don't pretend to speak for the rest of the forum members - they're all great, so don't let me keep you from chiming in and becoming a part of this wonderful family.  But I suppose now that you learned about tupperware, you'll go hang with your friendly craft beer brewers and we won't see you until next year when you need something. 
    Back to Zap1.  I logged in with both email addresses from this other computer and it still brings me to the Zap1 account.  No actually I've gotten several personal messages from others on this site who have been much more hospitable and wanted to make sure I knew you aren't speaking for everyone.  Don't get me wrong.  There are people like you on the craft beer sites too.  I'm just not one of them.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Several, hey?  There were other glaring discrepancies in your posts... I'll just chalk this up to more of that.

I am serious though, when I say I hope you decide (in spite of however you perceive me) to hang around and be a part of our community.
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    Several, hey?  There were other glaring discrepancies in your posts... I'll just chalk this up to more of that.
    Whatever makes you feel better I guess.
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:

I'm not that great.  Also Mr. Zap I do not see a need for you to post some defensive excuse crap after every damn post from someone else.  We all know you will not stick around so prove us wrong.  Peters point is, think about your beer forum, then imagine that every week or so for years someone different asks the same stupid question that has been covered to death.  Even your calm self would get slightly perturbed that these people do not know how to read, or use a simple search.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    peter4jc said:

I am serious though, when I say I hope you decide (in spite of however you perceive me) to hang around and be a part of our community.
    I'll just quote myself, in case you only see the things you want to see initially.
  • Options
    peter4jc said:

I'm not that great.  Also Mr. Zap I do not see a need for you to post some defensive excuse crap after every damn post from someone else.  We all know you will not stick around so prove us wrong.  Peters point is, think about your beer forum, then imagine that every week or so for years someone different asks the same stupid question that has been covered to death.  Even your calm self would get slightly perturbed that these people do not know how to read, or use a simple search.
    Don't read my replies then and don't learn how this happened.    People do post the same things over and over on other forums and people answer them.   I don't recall a situation like this ever.  Would you stick around if you were me?   Would you wan to contribute with jackasses like you and a few others pulling stunts like this.  I doubt it.   I've contributed at times over the years.  Not good enough though I know.  My ratio is way off as has been shown and I don't think I can bring that ratio up to an acceptable level.
  • Options
    ZAP said:
    peter4jc said:

Don't read my replies then and don't learn how this happened.    People do post the same things over and over on other forums and people answer them.   I don't recall a situation like this ever.  Would you stick around if you were me?   Would you wan to contribute with jackasses like you and a few others pulling stunts like this.  I doubt it.   I've contributed at times over the years.  Not good enough though I know.  My ratio is way off as has been shown and I don't think I can bring that ratio up to an acceptable level.
    I should note that it is clear people here also answer those questions from newbies.  I got ostracized because my profile shows I have been here for ten years and I ask too many questions without providing enough input. (although I only stop by on occasion during summer months and usually only read General Discussion or Ratings and Reviews when I don't have questions)

• Options
    You are "reading" way to into this, that is not why you got ostracized.  You got blasted because you wanted to come up with a bunch of excuses instead of rolling with it.  Many here have been torched and questioned, including me.  If I responded they way you are I would have really missed out.  Instead I laughed it off and figured **** out, you can too.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    My main issue with this thread is the boveda calibration packet. Why in the fůck are these being sold by the dozen? Also, why are people buying these at all? You can use any damn boveda you want to to test your hygrometer. Use the same damn one you are going to store with your cigars. Stop wasting money. 

I don't understand the need for a hygrometer if you use bovedas.  Just put a bunch in there, when/if they get crunchy recharge.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main issue with this thread is the boveda calibration packet. Why in the fůck are these being sold by the dozen? Also, why are people buying these at all? You can use any damn boveda you want to to test your hygrometer. Use the same damn one you are going to store with your cigars. Stop wasting money. 

I don't understand the need for a hygrometer if you use bovedas.  Just put a bunch in there, when/if they get crunchy recharge.
    If they never get crunchy you’ve got a whole other set of issues though...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Thinking this over, I'd like to offer an apology... to my friends/members of this fine forum.  Even if I thought the OP acted poorly, it didn't do any good to argue, and even though I don't speak for the forum I do in some small way represent the family (as we all do) I could've been a bigger person by letting some or all of this stay in my thoughts and not in my fingers.  In the future, I vow to channel my inner curmudgeon in a more productive manner.
  • Options
    TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Thinking this over, I'd like to offer an apology... to my friends/members of this fine forum.  Even if I thought the OP acted poorly, it didn't do any good to argue, and even though I don't speak for the forum I do in some small way represent the family (as we all do) I could've been a bigger person by letting some or all of this stay in my thoughts and not in my fingers.  In the future, I vow to channel my inner curmudgeon in a more productive manner.
    ...ArF...
  • Options
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:

Me too. When yo need to vent. Put it in a PM and send it to me. And I'll do the same. You think we can keep each other out of trouble that way? 
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peter apologizing????

I don't like the new Peter
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?