Home Ratings & Reviews

Gurkha Warlord

Smell on body pre toast is mild, cant distinguish anything much. Off the foot I get a musty smell with some sweetness in and out. Smells great. Sloppy double cap, but the cigar actually looks good. Tight and neatly rolled, so squishy points, or overly hard areas. Smooth chocolate appearance, not too many visible veins, nice and oily.

Pre toast draw is loose. The musty flavor is still there with earthy tones, like dirt. It's not bad if you are a lover of more earthy flavors in a cigar.

1st 3rd:
--------
Mild. Mild on retro hale, not strong, short finish, no pepper.
I'm getting vanilla, but not sweet; plants on the palate, musty earth tones on retro hale. Taste pretty good. Though this cigar isn't sweet, I'm getting the smell of molasses, which smells amazing.

Smoke very thin off the foot, but thick and creamy on draw, very silky. Nice burn, pretty even. Solid white ash, minimal cracks, and holding up about an inch so far. This seems like it's going to be a quicker smoke, as it's burning pretty quickly. Doesn't appear to overly burn on its own, however the loose draw provides a deeper draw for some, and with that it will burn.

2nd 3rd:
--------
Still mild, very mellow on retro hale, so if you're one whom likes to retro hale, but don't like the in-tenseness from the after effect, this is a safe bet.

Nutty flavors, earth tones, grass, must still there, however that quick taste of vanilla is gone. Still smelling molasses and earth off burn on foot. Smoke still thin off the foot, and heavy on the draw. The smoke is a little dry, but nothing harsh. Still has a loose draw. The burn has changed, now wonky, and flaky. Ash just fell an inch in. flakes like snow, required two touch ups. Getting warm, but not mushy.

Last 3rd:
---------
Still a mild smoke, the very tip of medium at best. No buzz at all. Still presents earth tones, plants, the vanilla returned, mustiness still there. Smoke aroma off foot still great, molasses and plants.

Draw has gotten a little tighter, but nothing too noticeable. Smoke output the same. The ash has leaned more to the darker grey side, still flaky, and I had to touch it up again.

The heat died down ending the 3rd, not mushy, pretty solid all the way through.

Overall:
--------
Burn definitely was wonky, and required touch ups. Ash stood solid for about a half inch to an inch, and remained flaky pretty much consistently from the 2nd 3rd. Nice band, which is normal for Gurkha, no glue issues, band came off easy.

Smoke output was very nice and pretty consistent. Flavors over all were more complex than I thought they would be, which is pleasing. This is a mild cigar, tip of medium at best regarding strength.

Over all construction pretty solid, no 2nd and 3rd cracks or unravels as a lot of people have experienced with Gurkha.

Anyone who knows about Gurkha knows they have SO many blends and brands that in the cigar world they tend to get a bad rap. This cigar has that same "oooh" & "ahhh" appeal when you look at it and its band, but it's just smoke and mirrors...it's an ok cigar, nothing to really complain about, nothing to write home about either. I do recommend, and will have another in the future...if they don't get replaced but another blend.

Comments

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That burn line looks like the Italian coast.  You could have just written "Typical Gurkha" lol....
    Don't look ↑
    That burn line looks like the Italian coast.  You could have just written "Typical Gurkha" lol....
    Don't look ↑
  • TheBrooklynWayTheBrooklynWay Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    That's funny. You know, oddly enough, I've had a couple of good Gurkhas which I will review soon, but the Ghost & Governor are great imo.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, Brooklyn... not to tell you what to do, but if you are posting reviews in an attempt to be an asset to this forum, you might consider some cigars that others here will actually smoke.  You do a good job on the reviews, but it's like yelling at a deaf person if nobody is going to go out and buy a Warlord.  Whether you gave it a thumbs up or a thumbs down, it's just not going to be of any help when it comes to reviewing something like a Ghurk-****.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just in case, @TheBrooklynWay, I did not mean to disparage your review.  Quite a good review.  And, for what it's worth, I'll say again as I have elsewhere, if you get a good Gurkha it's a great cigar.  They're almost always high quality tobacco, yet they so frequently are un-smokeable.  Ends up with me getting 2 for the price of 5, and so I don't buy them.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just in case, @TheBrooklynWay, I did not mean to disparage your review.  Quite a good review.  And, for what it's worth, I'll say again as I have elsewhere, if you get a good Gurkha it's a great cigar.  They're almost always high quality tobacco, yet they so frequently are un-smokeable.  Ends up with me getting 2 for the price of 5, and so I don't buy them.  
    Which incidentally explains their MSRP...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    I'm impressed.  You smoked a whole Gurkha all the way down and it didn't swell up and fall apart.  Gurkhas are like the strippers of the cigar world.  You see them and get all excited, then they start peeling off and while you may remain excited, you ain't gettin' any.

Your mileage may vary.
    That's hilarious. Yeah, I'm very in tune to Gurkha and the impression they leave in the cigar world, but I stopped following the law of the land when I had a couple of good ones. They are a gimmicky brand, a lot of flash, too many blends to be taken seriously, but hey, if I get a good one; I'm going to let it be known.
    peter4jc said:
    Hey, Brooklyn... not to tell you what to do, but if you are posting reviews in an attempt to be an asset to this forum, you might consider some cigars that others here will actually smoke.  You do a good job on the reviews, but it's like yelling at a deaf person if nobody is going to go out and buy a Warlord.  Whether you gave it a thumbs up or a thumbs down, it's just not going to be of any help when it comes to reviewing something like a Ghurk-****.
    I understand what you are trying to convey but what I'm trying to do, and what I've been doing is bigger than this group a lone, or any one cigar brand. What you're saying is like it being a FACT that NO ONE smokes or appreciates Gurkha, and I know many who does. Your comment and suggestions alludes to you knowing factually that not ONE member in this entire forum smokes or likes Gurkha, and I doubt you can make that claim. I respect your opinion, but I will be open to review EVERYTHING...I have to as a reviewer. Not to mention, again, I have had a Gurkha or two that I personally like, which shows they aren't all bad.

Thank you for your kind words, and I understand your opinion, but I have to be open minded while doing what I do.
    I understand. I have had Gurkhas that absolutely fell apart, and I had the Ghost & Governor which I've never had an issue with at all...ever. Again, being in this for as long as I have been, I know quite a few people (as I'm sure you can easily find if you google and look in other groups or forums) who swear by them being great. For what I do, and the level that I'm trying to do it on, I'm never going to shut out a brand all together simply from "some" or "maybe more than a few" negative public perceptions.

I'm sure we all have a stick or two in our humidor that one of us would be like "Man, that's a piece of sh*t", but, one mans trash, is another mans treasure.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a number of Black Ops fans on this site...
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    I only smoke these....

https://youtu.be/JQJlpYxLrpc

Don't look ↑
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be great if a new discussion was created "Cigar Reviews" so all of these reviews can stay in one place. Just a suggestion
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just keep them in the Ratings and Reviews category.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaterNerd said:
    It would be great if a new discussion was created "Cigar Reviews" so all of these reviews can stay in one place. Just a suggestion

We ARE in the "Ratings & Reviews" section of the forum.  This review has been placed exactly where it should go. Why do you, (and the others that agreed with your post,) want all cigar reviews in one thread? Why would it be better that way?  

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry @Bob_Luken didn’t mean to get anyone upset it was just a suggestion I’ll go sit in the corner now
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    WaterNerd said:
    Sorry @Bob_Luken didn’t mean to get anyone upset it was just a suggestion I’ll go sit in the corner now
    No, no,.... I'm not upset. Don't go away please. I just wanted a clear reason as to why.  I can guess why you would want it that way, and if my guess is correct I can understand and even agree with you on that point, but don't want to put words in your mouth. 

I'll take a guess as to your point. Anytime someone posts regularly on the same topic, (reviews, or whatever) these multiple posts linger on the front page of the forum and take up too much space. And plenty of guys aren't that interested in reviews in general. But, if the reviews are all in one thread, they don't take up as much space. Am I close to making your point for you, or am I off the mark? 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some decent Gurkhas, if you get them at a reasonable price and remember what they are. 
    Rogue Rascal is one that I'll buy once in a while, as it is usually cheap and not a terrible cigar when I am working on something.
    The problem I run into is seeing a cigar for $12, that you have to fight it, to smoke it.
    Not a fan of that.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Gurkha Doble Maduro Double Maduro wasn’t too bad from what I remember.  I got a cheap deal on a pack.  Gave some to my dad.  He said his ash was so flakey, but other than that he enjoyed them.  I don’t remember any issues with mine.  If I still have any left may have to see if time in the humidor made any difference.  I did give one to a buddy of mine.  Have to follow up with him to see what he thought of it.  I also sent him home with a Montecristo classic platinum.  Curious to see how ranks them being new to the cigar world.