Home General Discussion

Unexplained humidor heat

ThroapyThroapy Posts: 3
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
hey there, I’ve got a situation with my humidor. Recently, about a month ago, it is heating up. Up to 79 degrees (house is at 73 on central air) which caused mold to form. I’ve cleaned that, bought a new cigar oasis humidifier, and it is still heating to 78ish degrees. I’ve also moved the humidor to another location in the house.anyone know what’s causing the temp increase? Oh, cigars are currently removed as well.
-edit- the humidor is just over 3 cubic feet interior.

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What’s the temp in your house?

is the cat sleeping on top of it while you are at work
  • TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it be the Oasis humidifier? 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trish said:
    Could it be the Oasis humidifier? 
    That's gotta be it.  Cigars don't get hotter, not until we light 'em up.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • ThroapyThroapy Posts: 3
    Currently the cigars aren’t in it, I took them out. Still getting up to 78 ish. Can’t be the oasis, I just bought it thinking it was my old humidifier causing it. Still happening.
  • TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Throapy said:
    Currently the cigars aren’t in it, I took them out. Still getting up to 78 ish. Can’t be the oasis, I just bought it thinking it was my old humidifier causing it. Still happening.
    Is the Oasis running on batteries or the electric power ribbon,  and have you removed it for a few days to monitor the heat? 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have a demon. Not sure if an exorcism will chase it away, but sure as anything, you have a demon heating it up.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anything that burns electricity generates heat. Take the oasis out, throw in a boveda, wait a couple of days, see if the demon has departed.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you sure your not reading the humidity and not the temp. 78-79% humidity will certainly bring mold. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Usaf06 said:
    are you sure your not reading the humidity and not the temp. 78-79% humidity will certainly bring mold. 
    @Usaf06 is a true detective. When no one else asks what really needs to be asked, and everybody's finished cracking jokes, he will ask the best question. 
    Bob_Luken said:
    Usaf06 said:
    This here is a true detective. When no one else asks what really needs to be asked, and everybody's finished cracking jokes, he will ask the best question. 
    Well crap. Now I feel bad.

No, not really. 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    peter4jc said:
    Glad somebody else said it. Now I don't feel like I'm the only one who has this same thought run through their head EVERY TIME these question posts come up. It's a riddle of a question to begin with. Right? No mention of humidity, which is the real threat of mold. Higher temps would help mold grow, but not if it's dry. Right? I think Peter is right up there with Nick with his skills of detection. 
    Colombo II
  • KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

• ThroapyThroapy Posts: 3
    Bob_Luken said:
    peter4jc said:
    Glad somebody else said it. Now I don't feel like I'm the only one who has this same thought run through their head EVERY TIME these question posts come up. It's a riddle of a question to begin with. Right? No mention of humidity, which is the real threat of mold. Higher temps would help mold grow, but not if it's dry. Right? I think Peter is right up there with Nick with his skills of detection. 
    Humidity is below 70. Always. It’s a temp thing and it never happened before. Not sure what the danielreyes means. And yeah, higher temp with Normal humidity will cause mold.
    Throapy said:
    Humidity is below 70. Always. It’s a temp thing and it never happened before. Not sure what the danielreyes means. And yeah, higher temp with Normal humidity will cause mold.
    So if you know all these things already, why are you asking?
    In order for something, anything to create heat, it needs energy.
    If the humidor is empty, then there is no energy.
    If you have removed everything, including the humidifier, then what's left?
    If it is, as you state, empty, then sunlight hitting it would be the only source that could cause it to increase temperatures.

Logically, none of what you are saying makes any sense.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A picture might help, how large is the humidor? 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    edited April 2019
    Throapy said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    peter4jc said:

"and it never happened before"........................

james corden lol GIF by CBS

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I had a similar experience with my humidor once.  It turned out that, as @deadman questioned above, one of our big fat tom cats was sleeping on the humidor whenever I wasn't in the house, his body heat being absorbed by the wood.   He'd jump down whenever he heard me coming, because he'd learned that he couldn't fly. 

Other than that, sunlight, being in the path of a heater vent flow, these make the most sense if you've ruled out your electric devices.  

Or it's a demon.   >:)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a similar experience with my humidor once.  It turned out that, as @deadman questioned above, one of our big fat tom cats was sleeping on the humidor whenever I wasn't in the house, his body heat being absorbed by the wood.   He'd jump down whenever he heard me coming, because he'd learned that he couldn't fly. 

Other than that, sunlight, being in the path of a heater vent flow, these make the most sense if you've ruled out your electric devices.  

Or it's a demon.   >:)
    🤣 I couldn’t remember where I heard the cat sleeping on the humi story from. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang it!  I never thought of that.  And here I was blaming my nephew.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain