Home Cigar 101

Humidity Question

tlnaylor34tlnaylor34 Posts: 10 ✭✭
I have a dumb humidity question I think i know the answer to but wanted to confirm. I just purchased some Montecristo Habanos #4 Robustos and when I received them, they were in  excellent shape and authentic judging by the filler packing, box, seal, and band and caps. Anyway, in an effort to rest them more effectively, I cut the top off the box and placed in my coolidor. My humidity dropped 7 % with this box unlike my other boxes which did not drop. Am I to guess that the cigars were just accliminating by pulling extra humidity into the open box until cigars were not needing anymore then will go back to where my Bovedas are (69%). The humidty is back to where it was now.

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case I haven't welcomed you to the forum, Welcome. 
    How long did it take to recover? A few hours? If that's the case, I'd take a guess and say that maybe the RH in the room was low or very low. If it took twelve hours or more to recover, the new box might be a little dry. And low RH in the room could still factor into the equation. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next time, you could (for your own curiosity,) get a ziplock bag big enough for your newest purchase to fit in, then add a hygrometer to the bag. Let it sit overnight and see how dry, or not, the new stuff actually is before you put it in.  
  • tlnaylor34tlnaylor34 Posts: 10 ✭✭
    ok. it took a day to recover so my guess it the box was a little dry from the shipment . i have a Newair winedor and it is awesome stable. so its doing fine. 3 320g 69% bovedas.

• tlnaylor34tlnaylor34 Posts: 10 ✭✭
    They came from overseas.