Home Cigar 101

Fake Padilla cigar from Thompson Cigars?

thepostmanthepostman Posts: 3
Hello!
I am new here. I was going through older cigars in my humidor and stumbled on this Padilla Connecticut that I had received in a sampler from Thompson Cigar years ago. The ring gauge was larger than any cutter I had when I got it, and it seems it got lost for a long while, that being said, the age brought out something I had not originally noticed... TAPE. the band has no overlap, and is held on by a piece of invisible tape that goes around it... upon further investigation it seems that the band does not look at ALL like the padilla connecticuts that I found elsewhere on the market... Am I missing something? or is this fake as all get out?  Mind you, I have not ordered from TC since my first few orders when I was brand new to cigar smoking, what an awful experience... I expect awful CS from them and slimy tactics, but counterfeit cigars???

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things that make you go hmm.

Welcome to the forum, @thepostman
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • thepostmanthepostman Posts: 3
    I have no idea why anyone would, but scotch tape holding on the band? Even for a cheap cigar that seems... BEYOND cheap.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't be the first time.
    But yes, that is being cheap.
    It's also the reason why some folks shy away from certain vendors.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • thepostmanthepostman Posts: 3
    I will tell you what I wont touch TC with a 10' pole after my experience with them. cheapness aside.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @thepostman

Welcome to the asylum. I think the bulk of the BOTLs & SOTLs on this forum have all had bad experiences with that particular vendor. You’re not alone in that. 

Some of us have even had the opportunity to ‘get even’ or more for the shoddy treatment/merchandise from those folks. 😎
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overcharged, wrong stuff sent, cs takes forever to respond, etc.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Related, although not pertaining to Thompson's, some small batch boutiques have taped bands, I can name at least a couple off hand that I have, and they are amazing. I won't name them right now because I don't want to see them sold out, either. ;)
    There are one or maybe two Padilla's I rather enjoy, but you won't find them all over the place, either.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can tell us. We will keep the secret, we promise!
    Don't look ↑
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never really had any problems with Thompson, maybe a few stale, dry cigars, some broken cigars, some orders with shortages, wrong cigars sent, screwed up bills...