Home General Discussion

A lighter question.....

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
One of my Xikar lighters, an Executive G15, has developed a quirk I don’t understand. It’s been back to Xikar for maintenance/repair a couple times but lately it’ll light just fine on the first try but will only burn for as much as five or six seconds and then goes out. It won’t relight for a minute or so and then does the same thing. 

It seems like I should be able to correct this problem myself without having to send it back again but nothing I’ve tried seems to do any good. I’ve blown out the area where the flame originates, played around with the flame settings knob, purged and refilled it, etc but without any success. 

Have any of you had a similar situation and found a cure for this screwy problem or am I just going to have to give up and send it back again?  Any suggestions will be gladly explored....  

Thanks in advance, Y’all.....  👴🏻

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On colder nights I keep my lighter in my pocket so it warms up and has higher gas pressure.

Have you tried purging the air before a refill? Too much air in the mix can blow out the flame.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Yakster

Thanks for the response, Chris. Yeah, I always purge ‘em. I even tried holding the lighter right side up and draining all the fuel before refilling. Doesn’t seem to help, though. 
  • TheCigarChickTheCigarChick Moderator Posts: 320 admin
    Did Xikar explain to you what they did to 'fix' it? Now that Xikar is part of QI, they developed a habit of sending out refurbished lighters for replacements, so do you know for sure if you got your original lighter back? Has the ignition valve been cleaned? They are prone to building up dust/lint.

I've had the same problem you're describing with a two of my Dupont Maxi-Jets, but never issues with my Xikar lighters. (It's actually gotten to the point where I have shelved my Duponts until I can get to a shop I know where I can take them apart and try and fix them myself.)
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have similar issues, so now I purge every time
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
    I have similar issues, so now I purge every time
    So do I. My other Xikar works fine - it’s just this one that neither purging nor anything else I’ve tried works to solve the problem. 

Thanks, though....  👍
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's FUBAR
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had this problem in a cheap single flame one time.  

If you're using cheap gas, don't.  

Before you bleed it completely, open up the flame adjuster a metric shhhht ton by unscrewing the little screw on the wheel and opening it up a lot.  Then, push the trigger and blow the whole tank through the jets on really high speed, kind of an opposite bleed.  Then, finish bleeding the air through the valve.  Then reload with only premium gas.  You can tell premium because the seam of the can will be around the ring, not down the side of the can.  Obviously, fill it upside down.  If you don't have a fuel window, let it fill for a full 30 seconds.  I have some very slow fillers and it takes longer than the prescribed 10 to 15.

Should be good after that.
    Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
    These lighters have never had anything but Xikar fuel in them  

I’ve blown out the problem lighter with just air. Didn’t help. 
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had bad lighter, finally pitched it.  I was constantly messing with it.  Life is too short, even though it had a warranty I tossed it 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
    Of course, the other option is to run over it with your truck or the throw it off of your roof, and then send it back to xikar. Then they'll have to replace it
    Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
    jlmarta said:

I’ve blown out the problem lighter with just air. Didn’t help. 
    But blowing the gas through the Jets from the tank is different then blowing air from the outside. Those internal parts don't get clean with the air. Because the air didn't originate in the tank. You have some sort of flow problem from the tank to the outside, so that's how you have to blow it out. Another option would be a high-powered vacuum of some sort that is small enough to get in there.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's a multi-jet lighter, check the connections to see if they are all receiving fuel. All other checks in place, it should work. Single jet like this one, well...if purging it like I linked in the video doesn't help, I would toss it.
    The best single jet laser torch I ever used so far is the Lotus 3-Eleven, it's just awesome. And I haven't even purged it one time, either. Helps with folks who have arthritis, since it has a long button to ignite on the side. Not too keen on the punch, but it flips inside and is out of sight.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like there is something wrong internally that may never be corrected as it may not be diagnosable or worth diagnosing, etc. I wonder if you can get them to replace it at no charge by explaining all this to them. 

I have not plunged money into a good lighter as of yet.  My initial lighter is a $7 scorch torch I bought on Amazon when I first started this journey in 2015.  That thing still works great.  LOL  Honestly I'm shocked and thought for sure I'd have replaced it several times over by now.  Knock on wood.....

I got bombed a Bugatti lighter, which is great too, seeing as how I would never buy one for myself :D   At least for the moment, I'll keep buying cheap "disposbales".  I'm sure I wont always be this lucky, but until then I'll keep my fingers crossed every time I light up.  I definitely feel like I'm on borrowed time with the scorch...  
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293