Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Safety razors

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
just curious how many use one. Been thinking of trying it on my head. 

Comments

• Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back when I shaved regularly, I used the double bladed safety razor (Merkur) and tried a variety of blades for it and found that it worked great. I stock piled about 20 years worth of blades and shave cream and called it a day, then grew a beard and now I don't shave at all. At least I am all set once I do decide to shave again.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I have, and use several.  I prefer the older three piece ones.  I've found different razors like different blades...
    This one does not get used.

Post edited by Stubble on
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options

• Options
    Stubble said:
    I have, and use several.  I prefer the older three piece ones.  I've found different razors like different blades...
    This one does not get used.

Do the 3 piece last longer then the other kind?
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like @BKDog, I grew a beard and quit shaving, but before that I did the deep dive into "wet shaving," "classic shaving," safety razors or whatever you want to call it. I have a small collection of vintage safety razors and one straight razor and a pretty good stock of razor blades. I like Astra SP and Polsilver SI blades which seem to stay sharp and last a long time without snags.

If you're looking for time to kill on the boat, go to www.badgerandblade.com/forum and browse around. This is the entrance to the rabbit hole, and there's plenty of folks there who can help. Probably a few threads on suggested razors for head shaving. I'm guessing a vintage Gillette Superspeed would be a good razor for head shaving, but I've never shaved my head.

LMK if you pick up a razor and I'll send you some blades to try out.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    This probably sounds stupid but I’m a little intimidated by the safety razor. Thinking of going the cartridge route. Maybe the Gillette Fusion. Probably cheaper than buying disposable razors. 
  • Options
    The HeadBlade manual shaver came in at #2 on this video. I think you'd be ok with a milder safety razor like a SuperSpeed, once you get the hang of it. I get more irritation and nicks from disposable razors than I do from safety razors.

https://youtu.be/SrhUuacF29A
  • Options
    I've never had issues with either.  The "butterfly" type have more moving parts, higher chance of something breaking or coming loose.
  • Options
    I'd be worried about modern "butterfly" or "TTO - Twist to Open" razors made in China, but I've never had a problem with vintage TTO razors.  It's nice not to have to take apart the razor to change the blade and risk dropping and dinging the head or losing the lower plate.
  • Options
    I didn’t know they made electric shavers for the head. 
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was years before I knew what that little slot in the medicine cabinet was for.
  • Options
    I'd hate to come upon a pile of rusty blades in the wall during a remodel.