Home General Discussion
Options

Green Tobacco

Got some new cigars that are harsh when I retrohale, but only about the first inch of the smoke.  After that, they're fine.  A friend who knows his stuff says that's a sign of green tobacco.  Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

Thanks. 

If you don't mind, email me at ksnyder211@gmail.com.  The technical aspects of Forums escape me and I'm darn lucky to be able to get this post (I think that's what they're called) up on this website.  And it's probably in the wrong place (?)

Ken

Comments

• Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken, @Ksnyder211 it is not uncommon for the harshness and or spiciness, to settle down as you smoke a cigar as a. Profile changes, b. You get used to it. 
    I don't believe at all it is green because most tobacco goes through a picking, drying, curing, and aging process. However over time the tobacco mellows out. If you have a brand that is harsh sit on it for 6-8 months and try it again. Most will tell you that strong cigars are much better with a couple years on them.  
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    A "green" cigar usually has a double claro / candella wrapper.

A young cigar that has not undergone the proper aging/curing will be harsh due to ammonia content.

A cigar with a generous amount of ligero will definitely get your attention on the retrohale if you're not used to it.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you burn the crap out of it when you are lighting it that can cause the start of it to be rough as well.  Thats why I prefer the soft flame for the lighting compared to a torch.  Easier to get the slow light.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...We called it "SkunK Weed' in the late 70's.  Right outside Athens Ohio...Nelsonville.  .....oh wait.
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TruDog said:
    ...We called it "SkunK Weed' in the late 70's.  Right outside Athens Ohio...Nelsonville.  .....oh wait.
    Gimme that green fool, in a big bag and don’t be holding out on the zigzag 
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If TruDog is outside of Athens...he knows green.