Home Non Cigar Related

Scotch tariff

YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
Are you prepared for the 25% tariff on Scotch starting tomorrow?
I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Comments

• TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...say it aint So BrO.
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this how we make America great again?  :/
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NNNOOOOOOoooh!  

:s 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well looks like I'll be buying by the case from now on.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make America drink rye again
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I just picked up a bottle of Jack. I’ll tilt one for you boys tomorrow. Go whiskey!!
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, there were a couple comments about it on The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread.

I tried asking our (PA State-owned) liquor store if the tariff only applied to newly imported Scotch or if it applied to what they had in-stock.  The guy didn't know; they just knew a price increase would come.

At any rate, I bought two bottles instead of just one.  A hundred bucks for Laphroaig Lore and a little less for Ardbeg Corryvreckan.

I don't drink that fast (who does with Scotch? Especially with the Islay, briny, peaty, idodiney, salty stuff.) so with the stock I already have, it should last me a while.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTF?
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess who pays for the tarriffs....
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I was talking with a guy far more in the know about the industry than I am who believes the way the tariff is leveled will only result in a few dollars/bottle more for the consumer.  Mostly he said some mumbo jumbo about barrels and then pointed out how much tax and markup there is on the product already and that the tariff will be leveled on the wholesale cost at time of import.

It's also only on new imports, so existing stock shouldn't be affected.

And several producers decided to air-freight stock in rather than shipping it, which should still increase cost for a bit, but not as much as the tariff.

I don't know if he's right or not, so I just bought another two bottles.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess who pays for the tarriffs....
    The same people who pay any other corporate tax

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what’d I miss! Are we building a wall around the liquor store also?
  • Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's because the EU has been charging a 25% tariff on bourbon since last year. I just paid a couple hundred dollars in tariffs for my stuff from Scotland. Ouch.
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

• HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is interesting. I have not heard about this. Being in the restaurant business, this can definitely affect our COGs.

The articles I just read suggested that this is not because of the tariff in bourbon but because of subsidies given to Airbus by the EU.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pulled out my last bottle of Scotch, should have stocked up more when I had the chance.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )