Home General Discussion
Options

how do you know

2»

Comments

• Options
    KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like these guys already said get a zip lock, Tupperware will do the trick.  Pick up 65-68% Boveda packs and you are good to go.  Buy them from the local store so you don’t have to wait for shipping. 
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    @Gindog1 Sorry about all the jokes. We've heard from plenty of guys who's wives have gotten them cigars, but never 400 at once. Are you sure she didn't say $400 worth of cigars? LOL. It's virtually unheard of that a new guy who knows nothing about cigar storage, and already owns 400 cigars. So we assume that one of our own members is pulling our leg with a fake profile. And I made that joke using the analogy of a novice driver driving an 18 wheeler in oder to compare it to a novice smoker getting 400 sticks. And it turns out you drive an 18 wheeler? LOL

Tell us about your job. That looks interesting. 

If you are away from home now, and depending on how long that will be,......

If it's only two weeks, maybe everything (including boxes with plastic wrap) would be ok in ziplok bags, away from direct sunlight, and heat-A/C drafts.  

If it will be more than two weeks, your wife needs to get some boveda humidity packets. They sell them by the dozen on amazon for around $40. They sell different humidity levels. Either 69% or 65% is what you need for cigars. You need 1 (60 gram size) for every 25 cigars, but a dozen will make a good start. Ask her to put all the cigars with bovedas inside sealed storage containers, or ziploc bags (1 gallon size or two or three gallon size ziplock to fit any full boxes of cigars). Keep away from direct sunlight, and heat-A/C drafts.

There are a lot of mistakes we can help you avoid. The biggest one is wooden humidors. They are unnecessary. Sure they are pretty. They smell great. But they can be a pain in the butt to regulate humidity. Most guys on here use some type of plastic storage, even if they also have a wooden humidor.   

Keep us posted. 

• Options
    Gindog1Gindog1 Posts: 16
    edited January 2020
    I will say I have a kind of neat job, Well I work for a production and most men watch it every Monday night. When that sport over I move on to the next sport.  So I on the road a lot every year.                                                                                                              

I pick up cigars about about 2 years a go. I pick up a stick from town to town nothing over 4  or 5 sticks.  I just alway just leave them in the bags.  I went to Mexico this year and pick up 2 boxes of cubans while there to ship home when I got back in the states. I had her to take to the cigars bar near our home to keep for me in their storage where they keep there membership  sticks in.  To keep 2 boxes there  is counting me 60.00 a mouth to keep there. Witch is very high to me to keep them in.
    I always pick up some to smoke from different towns so it make it somewhat neat to get to smoke some really good sticks. 

I have never try keep any cigars ,I smoke what I had all the time.   My wife ask me what I would like this year I told her some smokes.  Well she went out and bought 10 boxes  for cigars. So maybe not 400 stick but well on it way.  It more than what I can smoke in a day or even a month.  Either way I hateto lose them. I hope she  get them in a cooler this weekend  with  boveda packs. 

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    hmm....Beckom? 

Some interesting misspelling.

Dunno.  I think sometimes DZR is given too much credit.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a few come apart like that in the last week or so.  Took them right out of the cooler and lit them.  There was a huge difference in Rh, something like 69 down to about 30 in my garage. I'm letting them sit out of the box for an hour or so on the advice of the smart guys on here and that seems to have fixed things.  
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Good advice here. 
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

• Options
    Fine137Fine137 Posts: 39 ✭✭✭
    put the burning end that stays the longest on the bottom
    curious as to what this means
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put the canoe-ing end, or the end that is burning the fastest, on top so you can see it when you set it on your ashtray.
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Put the canoe-ing end, or the end that is burning the fastest, on top so you can see it when you set it on your ashtray.
    Helpful, thank you.  Is this helpful in evening out the burn?
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Wayne, was too lazy to type all that.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Much appreciated, I was doing exactly wrong!