Home Pipes
Options

Suggestions for a beginner

2»

Comments

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See what yer gett'n into @NorCalR1 ?
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stubble said:
    Yes and the more I’m learning seems like you need at least a few pipes to rotate. Didn’t realize you weren’t supposed to smoke the same pipe on consecutive days due to moisture. 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience said:
    Pretty cool thanks for the link.

Now I owe you.... 😂

• Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don’t need a bunch of pipes unless you plan on smoking a pipe everyday. If you do you’ll need a minimum of three pipes but see if you enjoy them first. I think waternerd found he didn’t enjoy them. It may not be your thing. From a pipe person we always want another brother in arms though.
  • Options
    Eulogy said:
    You don’t need a bunch of pipes unless you plan on smoking a pipe everyday. If you do you’ll need a minimum of three pipes but see if you enjoy them first. I think waternerd found he didn’t enjoy them. It may not be your thing. From a pipe person we always want another brother in arms though.
    I’m looking forward to trying it out once my orders arrive. Thanks for the info I may start with 2 pipes and go from there. 

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    NorCalR1 said:
    Stubble said:
    Yes and the more I’m learning seems like you need at least a few pipes to rotate. Didn’t realize you weren’t supposed to smoke the same pipe on consecutive days due to moisture. 
    You can get away with it up to a point.  There are variables, mostly concerning your pipe tobacco and its moisture content.  Also how many times a day you smoke.  I may smoke a certain pipe 4 or 5 days in a row, once a day after breakfast and running a cleaner through it after each smoke.  Some tobaccos, Lane 1-Q comes to mind, will leave your pipe dripping wet after just one smoke.  Things get sour pretty quick like that.

Some things almost seem counter-intuitive to me.  I was surprised to learn that light weight, less dense briers smoke better and are more forgiving of abuse than the heavier ones.  Who'd a thunk it?  

One of the sites, Smokingpipes.com I think, has some pretty good educational material.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One tip about your tamper or pipe nail, you don't just use it when loading the bowl.

You use the "tamper" to restrict the airflow thu the bowl from time to time to help it burn a little better.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you sample and if you dig it let me know. I can send samples of a bunch of different stuff to try out. My pipes have been a bit neglected the last few months, getting them back out into the rotation again. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you like it, hope it gives you years of enjoyment!  Stanwell, Savinelli, Moonshine, Poul Winslow, Neerup, Chacom, Comoys', BriarWorks, Missouri Meerschaum all make great affordable pipes just to name a few. There are a great  many more affordable pipe makers out there.  Enjoy!  Like Brad said...if you want to sample more tobacco, just holler....
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top notch there @Stubble. Great looking pipe and some essentials to get him going as well. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White