Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Banning 6 more countries

2»

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TBonz said:
    I see the problem (on both sides) as a lack of respect for others and even a lack of respect for yourself.  Chances are that two people will have at least some small difference in their opinions and beliefs.  The good news is that we can have differences and respect each other's opinion and our right to have those opinions.  The more extreme on each side believe that they should not stop until the other side has nothing left to believe in.  If that is OK for you, don't be upset if it comes back to bite you down the road.  
    As Webmost likes to say, eggs-ackley.  Part of the reason for my signature line below.  

I once saw a clip of Ron Paul talking to someone who said: "I agree with you 100% of the time!"  RP looked at him for a moment and then said something along the lines of: "That's not natural.  If you agree with me 100% of the time there is most likely something wrong with you.  You must have some thoughts of your own that do not agree with me.  That's what's normal."  I loved Ron Paul, voted for him every chance I got.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    same goes for politics:

People will not trust unkind science

A mean and aggressive research working culture threatens people’s respect for scientists and their expertise, says science engagement expert Gail Cardew. “A kinder research culture will build stronger, deeper support for research, as well as higher-quality science,” she says. “Maintaining public trust should not mean shouting more loudly in a noisy world.”

Nature | 5 min read