Home Non Cigar Related

State of the Union

Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2020 in Non Cigar Related
What did you all think of it?
From Pelosi not giving the proper openin . Trump brushing off her handshake and her ripping the speech in half, it was as expected.
As for the let's wear white brigade not standing for a Soldier returning to his family, a Tuskegee airman, to quote Hillary. Deplorable 
All in all, I thought it was a good speech
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was fun to watch Nancy.  10 minutes in she was looking like she'd swallowed her dentures, and squirming like she'd found an avocado in her shorts.  The only thing that stands out to me as being something I strongly disagree with was the plug for school vouchers so the little girl wouldn't have to go to a "failed government school".  Because, there shouldn't be failed government schools.  We can afford, and should have, excellent public schools.  Of course, we don't.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...The only thing that stands out to me as being something I strongly disagree with was the plug for school vouchers so the little girl wouldn't have to go to a "failed government school".  Because, there shouldn't be failed government schools.  We can afford, and should have, excellent public schools.  Of course, we don't.

That's the key: we don't. Throwing money at it hasn't helped. More money only seems to fund more PC bureaucracy. Meanwhile, the little girl's parents need an alternative, not another broken promise; and she needs a decent school, now. People are paying for something they aren't getting.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that the political scene (circus) doesn't translate to how we as individuals treat our neighbors, with a few obnoxious exceptions. As a group we suck. Bottom line seems to be all about corporate growth: divide and profit.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All criminals, every last one. I'm not suggesting we burn the **** down, but I won't be content until the entirety of D.C. is a pile of smoldering ash (which isn't likely at all which is why I am never content).
    Folks at work mentioned the speech and the tantrum. It sounded more like a children's rehearsal and something scripted than an adult setting for honorable people. But, I suppose that's the rub -these people aren't honorable or decent. Corporate 'Murica replaced the republic a very long time ago when the industrialists got into the government business and voted themselves perpetual rulers. All they have to do is keep the masses entertained and it's a sure thing. Left or Right, it's a false paradigm.

My attention is on how radicalized each party has become. Every election is becoming increasingly more unruly and scandalous. The design of this scheme tells me big changes are coming.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate to be redundant here but an obvious lack of respect for themselves or others...

Doesn't matter which side, neither side should allow anyone with that lack of respect to continue to serve.  Even if they don't care for the man, they should show respect for the office.  That lack of respect for the office and the setting give me a pretty good idea what kind of respect a "commoner" like me would get when I needed something.

• Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone actually see what that pinhead ripped in halves. Was it a copy of our presidents speech...or a copy of the U. S. Constitution??
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have enemies all over this planet. N.Korea, Iran, and Russia, to name a few yet with this current environment it seems like we hate each other more.
  • TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All indications including her statement suggest that it was her copy of his speech.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Did anyone actually see what that pinhead ripped in halves. Was it a copy of our presidents speech...or a copy of the U. S. Constitution??
    It was the speech.

And depending on how you want to look at it, USC 18 2017 (b) "could" portray her act a violation of federal law.
    Any govt document can fall under that law and improper destruction of a govt document can be construed as a violation. 

Situations like that, fall under "open to interpretation".
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Well, as I was watching I assumed she was looking at the impeachment papers to soothe her nerves, but when she tore them up, I knew it was the speech.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the State of the Union went well, the man gets stuff done. Absolutely no class from those in the House of Representatives that didn't show/walked out and Nancy's behavior was unexceptable. I think the Sanctuary City stuff is what sent Nancy into here ripping fit...just couldn't take it. 
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    webmost said:
    ...The only thing that stands out to me as being something I strongly disagree with was the plug for school vouchers so the little girl wouldn't have to go to a "failed government school".  Because, there shouldn't be failed government schools.  We can afford, and should have, excellent public schools.  Of course, we don't.

That's the key: we don't. Throwing money at it hasn't helped. More money only seems to fund more PC bureaucracy. Meanwhile, the little girl's parents need an alternative, not another broken promise; and she needs a decent school, now. People are paying for something they aren't getting.
    I agree, in general, but there are millions of these kids out there.  Great for this one, but what about the general public?  Throwing money is always a bad idea, and I wouldn't suggest it, either, because that's been tried and you've correctly identified what becomes of it.  I'd suggest wisely spending the money however, since we are indeed paying for something we're not getting.  

There needs to be a sea change in American thinking regarding education.  This is really a sore point with me. 
    First, education is more important than sports.  I know that's blasphemy to the average person in this country today.  There is some educational benefit to sports, but it only benefits a tiny minority of the students who are actively involved.  Worshiping these young athletes and allowing them to get away with behaviors that the other students would be punished for is not good for society.
    Second, larger schools are not better schools.  A big building with 6,700 students at 45 or more per classroom isn't going to get your kid a better education.  Rather the opposite.  
    Third, the teachers themselves need to be a lot better educated and have A LOT more authority in the classroom.  To include a judiciously used paddle, for those children who refuse to learn by any other means.  Sorry, bleeding hearts, but paddling a child does not "teach them to hit".  They already know how to do that.  It teaches them what it feels like to be hit, because they themselves have demanded it by refusing to behave despite all attempts at reason.
    Fourth point, equally important to the others, the teachers should be paid more.  Probably a lot more.  
    Lastly, I know that I am pizzing in the wind here, because the Industrial Monarchs who rule us pretty much only want us to be able to follow their instructions, produce lots of money for them, and stay out of the way until they want or need something. 

Amos out.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, I missed the address.  Thankfully, pelosi's tantrum will be all over the internet for us to enjoy for months to come.  Time to go search for #pelositantrum or something similar.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

ShawnOL said:
    Damn, I missed the address.  Thankfully, pelosi's tantrum will be all over the internet for us to enjoy for months to come.  Time to go search for #pelositantrum or something similar.
    There are already hundreds of meme's of Pelosi during the address.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    So with Trump being acquitted, can they impeach Pelosi for all the waste of taxpayer's dollars?
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Probably not.  Know what else?  Schiff & Co. will continue the investigation.

• Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShawnOL said:
    Or you could wait for the Republican ads which will feature it.
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

Lastly, I know that I am pizzing in the wind here...

Eggs Ackley

Best solution would prolly be to shut down the Dept. of Education. Scores have declined year by year ever since the feds stuck their oar in. But no bureaucracy lets itself die, so, not gonna happen.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need for a federal department of education. That's a states responsibility 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Usaf06 said:
    No need for a federal department of education. That's a states responsibility 

How else would you teach the little bastids to goose step conformity?
    Besides, think of all the salaries and perks.

However, now that it's there, you will never get rid of it.