Home Non Cigar Related

Back pain relief

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Man, I tweaked my back and pinched a nerve and it was affecting my right arm. 
I tried Advil, ibuprophen, heat and ice. Little help.
So talked to the doc and he said to go get a TENS unit. About $30. So I got one. 
Seems to work pretty good.
So now until I can get to the bone cruncher, I have some relief without nasty meds.
Anyone else tried these?

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greatest invention since the snow shovel.
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it inflamed? Tens unit will help with blood flow to the muscles but a good ole ice pack will help the inflammation along with some ibuprofen. Right before seeing the chiropractor hammer it with a heat pack before the adjustment, tens as well. Ice after adjustment to help again with inflammation from adjustment.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    @0patience Tony what did you do to hurt it? Or just woke up and was messed up? It happens.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    Stay off the pain reducers and muscle relaxers as they make it hard for the chiropractor to determine what’s truly wrong. They mask the problem is what I’m saying.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never got relief from a TENS for my back injury, but it was some kind of wonderful during rehab for my torn rotator cuff, labral tears, and biceps tendon surgery.  Helped some after my knee replacement, too.  @TX98Z28 seems to be on the right track with his recommendations above.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got one, haven't used it in a while. It works pretty well but may just be distracting or confusing you with stimuli that makes you forget about the pain rather than straight pain relief if that makes sense.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Naproxen sodium (Aleve) is pretty good for inflammation.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TX98Z28 said:
    Is it inflamed? Tens unit will help with blood flow to the muscles but a good ole ice pack will help the inflammation along with some ibuprofen. Right before seeing the chiropractor hammer it with a heat pack before the adjustment, tens as well. Ice after adjustment to help again with inflammation from adjustment.
    Not inflamed. Just hurts.
    The Chiropractor uses a fancy TENS machine before bone crunching.

TX98Z28 said:
    @0patience Tony what did you do to hurt it? Or just woke up and was messed up? It happens.
    I picked up a Detroit engine head and turned wrong with it.
    I am no longer 30 and my body is reminding me that picking up 135 lbs, I need to be more conscious how I do it. LOL!
    I had a small injury to the rotator cuff? in baseball when I was about 19, that didn't help, then aggravated it logging and working on heavy equipment.
    So it can sometimes affect lifting properly.
    TX98Z28 said:
    Stay off the pain reducers and muscle relaxers as they make it hard for the chiropractor to determine what’s truly wrong. They mask the problem is what I’m saying.
    I only take Ibuprofen or advil.
    I can't take prescription pain meds or CBDs, as I have a CDL and Federal license which tests for everything, including Oxy and most other prescription pain meds.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShawnOL said:
    Naproxen sodium (Aleve) is pretty good for inflammation.
    It's great, much better than ibuprofen for me, BUT, for me it drives my blood pressure up into the > 200/100 range.   :/
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    I agree with @Amos_Umwhat Aleve is better only problem for me is it gives me hives.
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    Many years ago I tweaked my back and had to go home and Doc said it would be months before I could return to work. On the plane trip home I found an advertisement for the Texas Back Institute. So I gave them a call, spoke with a RN on the phone, she explained how to get out of bed, and sent pamphlets on back care. Since I adopted the practice of how to get out of bed I haven't had a problem, (I was diagnosed with a bulging disc.) Also had cortisone injections at that time. The RN also recommended walking as much as you can stand. I would walk to the end of the driveway and get relief for 2-6 hrs. I increased walking as I could stand it and found the endorphins from walking would eliminate the back pain. 
    The instructions for getting in and out of bed was to lay on your side, as you slide your feet over the side rotate into an upward position, while pushing up with the lower arm.
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NOGILLS2 said:
    Many years ago I tweaked my back and had to go home and Doc said it would be months before I could return to work. On the plane trip home I found an advertisement for the Texas Back Institute. So I gave them a call, spoke with a RN on the phone, she explained how to get out of bed, and sent pamphlets on back care. Since I adopted the practice of how to get out of bed I haven't had a problem, (I was diagnosed with a bulging disc.) Also had cortisone injections at that time. The RN also recommended walking as much as you can stand. I would walk to the end of the driveway and get relief for 2-6 hrs. I increased walking as I could stand it and found the endorphins from walking would eliminate the back pain. 
    The instructions for getting in and out of bed was to lay on your side, as you slide your feet over the side rotate into an upward position, while pushing up with the lower arm.

Yeah, I use this technique, it helps.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scotch and ibuprofen