Home General Discussion
Options

Question on nicotine

Fine137Fine137 Posts: 39 ✭✭✭
i have never smoked a cigarette, only the occasional cigar.  I don’t inhale obviously.  I know cigars contain nicotine, perhaps much more than a cigarette given their larger size.

i see cigar reviews talking about the strength of a cigar and this seems to indicate the effect of nicotine, at least to some degree.

i have never picked up any of that when smoking a cigar, at least not that I have noticed, nor am I necessarily looking to, just am curious as to why.

I typically only smoke 1/2 to 1/3 of the cigar, could that have anything to do with it?  Or my weight, around 200 lbs or not keeping the smoke in my mouth for very long or ...?

Comments

• Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude, you've got to smoke more than one third or even half a premium cigar. These aren't Swisher Sweets, they can easily cost $20 each or more. The nicotine will build up as you progress, so at the final third of the cigar you should be feeling it if you're a rookie smoker. But in all honesty, it depends on the cigar, too. Some places may list a cigar as "full", but they may not be referring to the nicotine, only the flavor. A cigar can be full flavor and not have much nicotine. Usually, they are referring to the nicotine (strength). For full strength, I'd recommend Jaime Garcia or a Steve Saka blend like Red Meat.
    If you've got a lot of nicotine in your system, you will know when you start feeling a sick feeling in your gut, cold sweats, or even some nervousness, dizziness, and a headache. Some people may throw up or salivate a lot and have a higher heart rate. Probably take this seriously because nicotine "overdose" is called nicotine poisoning for a reason.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your not getting the full experience by smoking 1/2 or 1/3 of a cigar. Usually blenders create them to have subtle changes as the cigar progresses.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Fine137 said:

I typically only smoke 1/2 to 1/3 of the cigar, could that have anything to do with it?  Or my weight, around 200 lbs or not keeping the smoke in my mouth for very long or ...?

You are correct to assume that there are many variables. 

You would definitely have more of a chance to feel the effects if you smoked more of the cigar. Most of the smokers I know smoke at least 3/4 of the stick. You could try smoking more of the cigar to see if you enjoy getting down to the nub. And don't even think about nicotine sickness when you get past the band. It's a rare occurrence. Just enjoy the cigar. Having said that,......LOL.......  every time I ever felt my body telling me it had too much nicotine, it was always in the last 1/4 of the cigar. For me it was a sweaty feeling and a little bit yucky, never dizzy or nauseous. I just stop smoking and eat something sweet and I'm over it.   

Do you typically smoke after a meal? (This would be a huge deterrent.) I love an after dinner cigar. If your stomach is digesting food, especially carbs. The sugars created in your system, or the sugars ingested directly, will diminish the affects of nicotine and in most cases, prevent you from overdoing it. 

If you want to push the boundaries and feel the need to find your limit. Wait until you're hungry, then wait an additional hour, next, light up the biggest and strongest cigar you think you have. Drink only water. See what you get. And it might not even happen if you do it like that. 

One cigar that has reminded me of my boundaries several times is the RoMa Craft CroMagnon Aquitaine, Cranium gran toro 6 x 54 (I had a box and loved them. Great flavors but, quite a punch.) 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
     If you enjoy half a cigar only, you have successfully enjoyed a cigar. Toss it and smile. No regrets. 
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Olivia series V and Monte platinum are the only cigars so far that have given me a headache or made me feel I've had enough.  Only the first time.  

As you smoke more strong cigars you'll find you feel less of the effects.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Fine137 only smokes non gurkha ultra premiums, definitely not Nubs or the like.  

Just take your cigar and cut it in half. smoke half now and half later. That way you don't waste any.

Please don't do that It was just a joke....
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^ I've done that.  It can work.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    BadSneakersBadSneakers Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭
    The only time I have gotten "cigar sickness" was a stick I'd had before with absolutely no issues (Undercrown Sun Grown). But I hadn't eaten anything of substance for hours - and this was clearly the culprit. I think as @Bob_Luken mentioned the empty stomach factor is an important one. I make sure to have at least a snack before a smoke and I keep a bag of Swedish Fish handy in case that queasiness ever hits again. Mmmm...Swedish Fish.

It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating. - Jack Handey 
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    But don't do it with a padron 64... Which is what this guy smokes.
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:

Me, too....  
  • Options
    Fine137Fine137 Posts: 39 ✭✭✭
    The only time I have gotten "cigar sickness" was a stick I'd had before with absolutely no issues (Undercrown Sun Grown). But I hadn't eaten anything of substance for hours - and this was clearly the culprit. I think as @Bob_Luken mentioned the empty stomach factor is an important one. I make sure to have at least a snack before a smoke and I keep a bag of Swedish Fish handy in case that queasiness ever hits again. Mmmm...Swedish Fish.

An excuse to eat Swedish Fish?  I’m in!
  • Options
    Swedish Fish? Is that like sardines? 
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to suck on a hard, black licorice coin while smoking cigars, seemed to enhance some flavors.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I had heard of Lutefisk only because of an old episode of King of the Hill when Bobby kinda overdoses on the stuff. (Seems yucky to me but hey, I used to think sardines were yucky and now I'm a King Oscar fan.) 
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0620297/

But I had never heard of swedish fish, until this thread. Maybe it's a regional thing? Or maybe it's because I never was that much of a candy aficionado.  
  • Options
    BadSneakersBadSneakers Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:

But I had never heard of swedish fish, until this thread. Maybe it's a regional thing? Or maybe it's because I never was that much of a candy aficionado.  
    They're all over (in the US, at least) - it's probably cause you don't notice the candy aisle stuff. They are red gummy fish with a delightful flavor (some say lingonberry). Recently other flavors have been released but no thanks - I want my original Swedish Fish.

I'm not a big candy person but I can put away a bag of Swedish Fish much faster than I'd like to admit. There's just something about them.

It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating. - Jack Handey 
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn Nick beat me to it.  Was avoiding this thread due to the title, after reading my initial thought is correct, DZR?
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swedish fish go well in fruity drinks.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as facts , cigs usually can give 2 mg of nicotine or less ( cig can carry up to 10+ mgs ) compared to the 50-70 mg in a cigar. Mucosal absorption is much less efficient than inhalation.

Cigar strength is a subjective thing ... but usually based on how much “strong” tobacco is in the cigar ( ie ligero). Uncertain if there is n amount of nicotine associated with these leaves ( but likely increased given amount of sunlight exposure) Not necessarily based on color of the wrapper.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great! We look forward to seeing how you turn out.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on some behind-the-scenes information, I have a feeling our new friend will turn out and fit in just fine...

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are anywhere where there are Skandihoovians, then Swedish Fish will be at the markets.

We have a Scandinavian Midsummer Festival here, so I've seen them. LOL!

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.