Home General Discussion

Really like this auction thing/first full humidor

About half of these I have not tried yet. Truly excited.

Comments

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Full? There's room for another thirty sticks in there.

Frank's right, keep those flavored/infused sticks in a Ziploc with a boveda pack. They will stink up your humidor and all its contents. Not picking on you, just trying to help.

I keep my wife's infused sticks in a little 20 CT. Humidor with it's own humidity control. Do you need a small humidor for those Javas? I've got an extra one.

And yes, the auction sites are good for pricing but they get you to spend way more than you normally would. In four nights I bought 60+ cigars on an auction site. I have very little will power and poor financial control. I completely screwed up my budget for the month. My wife used to be the gatekeeper, I'm screwed now.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What they said 👆
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But beware. Those auctions are addicting.
  • Spyk_Saturn12Spyk_Saturn12 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to all that advice. Javas coming out and going in a zippy now. Thought the wood in between might help. Appreciate that guys!
    Also if it's"too late" will they come back from that or are they pretty much stuck tasting like that
    Should be fine.

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

And whatever you do, don't go bidding on about 100 listings of Gurkha's so you can pretend bomb @VegasFrank later because you're gonna win a couple and then you have to bid more just to pad the shipping and that leads down a road we all know too well. 😁

And I tossed the G's. You're welcome, Frank.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    K A R M A
    Don't look ↑
    I got a couple more cigars coming. Won a 5 pack of MonteCristo Espada and I splurged because I really wanted to try the liga privada #9 and the padron serie 1926 no. 2. Just bought one of each but couldn't find them on auction so I did full price. Hopefully worth it.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those Monte Espada's always make me think of this... from the Bleach anime fandom

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Haha I'm pretty good to go. I only smoke one a day unless it's a day off. I won't buy again until the humidor is close to empty or I just don't have great sticks but if I go for broke I'll make sure to update you all 🤣
    Wow auctions seem to get much closer to retail on this auction site. I'm usually winning anywhere between 15 to 20 dollars cheaper than retail sometimes even more. Been winning 5 packs for the price of one cigar. Looks like maybe these ones get a little more competitive 😅. Maybe I'll find out why tonight after having that liga privada.
    It depends on brand bro. Cbid has more stuff, ca has some of the more fanboy and snobby sought after stuff and market forces drive those prices higher. CA has only one bidder per lot many times, whereas cbid has lots of bidders, including robots and employees who drive prices to minimums.
    Don't look ↑
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll find that your rH will be much more stable if you keep your humidor more than half full.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    @Amos_Umwhat good to know and good reason to buy more!
    @VegasFrank also good to know. We will find out if price really does anything tonight or if it's like wine....
    Friday and Saturday are the most expensive days
    Don't look ↑
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

I especially like the 5+ day auctions for non-lot listings and it's a single item. The quirky idiots bidding are all trying to one-up other people and end up paying more than retail. It's kind of like a Greek tragedy playing out every time.

It makes me want to give up on humanity all together.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    edited February 2020
    Sometimes only one....um I'll go with quirky instead of idiot...person bids on one of those singles...
    Don't look ↑
    This quirky idiot got an Avo classic Churchill for $6. I'll pay $6 for Avos all day long.

Who wouldn't jump on that?

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Did you guys noticed that all padrons disappeared off cigar auctioneer? That was my JAM... I am a little heart broken but I noticed famous had a deliberate banner saying “ we sell padrons!” Which translated to “not on sale” to me... is this like a seasonal thing? I just discovered this site a few months ago( and two humidors ago)
  • EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is going to hurt me , a lot more than it’s going to hurt them... anyone wanna go halfsies on box of Hermosos natural when we have a good deal...? alternatively a box split with another great box or padrons? I am thinking St Pattys day there are going to be sales everywhere...

Or... should we wait it out?