Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Am I the only one,.....?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in Non Cigar Related

Am I the only one who get's distracted by the deaf interpreters? Especially lately, we've seen so many Governors and Mayors and Doctors telling us important stuff at press conferences, but I can't stop watching the deaf interpreters. I can't help but focus on them, using their whole upper body plus exaggerated facial expressions, even though I understand none of what they are "saying". Maybe by the time this pandemic is over we will all have learned sign language.

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on how cute they are. I've found the majority aren't even Fairbanks cute so I don't pay a lot of attention to them. If there's an interpreter, odds are whatever is being said is not something I'm real intetested in anyway...

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always wondered why they make facial expressions.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

@ShawnOL said:
    I've always wondered why they make facial expressions.

That’s what happens when you flunk outta mime school.

Surprised face, sad face, oh no - stuck in an invisible box.

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine does that. Saw her in a video of the governor's press conference. She looked like she hadn't slept in three days lol

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I trie d doing a steaming church service lady Sunday. The facial expressions of the translate were so distracting to hat I have no idea what the service was about.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get it. Let's say that you are on the throne in the gentleman's reading room, when you are dismayed to discover that you have insufficient paper wherewith to complete the necessary documentation. Hence you sign out: "There is no toilet paper". What good does that do?...

Who the hell can hear you?

I am, however, intrigued to discover that the sign for "toilet" is la figa. Is that sort of thing what passes for onomatopoeia in ASL? What, then, would be the sign for urinal? Enquiring minds want to know.

And now back to your regular programming.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)