Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidor humidity will not stabilize

Ram_0922Ram_0922 Posts: 7

I have a 100 count humidor, glass top and it is about 30% full at this time and I even put in large bubble wrap to take up space so humidifier doesn't have to work as hard but for whatever reason, the humidity will not stabilize. I have a Xikar round humidifier, and use Xikar solution to put in the humidifier and when I have that in there it drops down to like 50%. I keep having to put a sponge with distilled water to raise it back up to 70% but when I take it out it drops back down again, can anyone send me any suggestions on what I need do or is it the humidor itself and need to replace since it is glass top, but when I close down and let it fall I get the whoosh of air being dumped out like I should, is that correct?

Comments

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@deadman said:
    Seasoning should be a week min and 2 weeks preferably. Glass tops leak. Get some non-scented aquarium silicone and run a bead around the glass/wood and probably the inner joints while you are at it. Place the sponge humidifier in the trash and buy 2-3 60 gram boveda packs.

Once you out grow this humidor I suggest a $15 island breeze 48 qt cooler from Walmart. You can then place this whole 50 ct in it and still have plenty of room for more cigars.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    Gotta love it when we can quote the experts! :-)

I just didn’t want to retype from the other new thread. Expert - no; lazy - yes
    😂

• Options
    Ram_0922Ram_0922 Posts: 7

Thank you I will try that out

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. You don't have enough cigars in there (bubble wrap will do nothing)
    2. Your seal probably sucks, look up dollar test.
    3. Look up seasoning (don't wipe inside), as stated this is about a two week process to do correctly.
    4. Throw in garbage and use Tupperware and bovedas.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Boveda packs aren’t the answer to everything. They’re an ok product but have their limitations.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a glasstop humidor, I’ve had a couple. There are things you have to be aware of such as light affecting them more than other humidors.

Finally, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wiping down the inside of a humidor. If wiping it down with a damp towel causes damage you bought a POS anyways. Don’t saturate the thing but sure wipe it down. Then put a bowl of water (don’t use a damn sponge they are all treated with chemicals) in there with a calibrated hygrometer and wait for it to stabilize for a day or two. It may take 2 days it may take 2 weeks depends on dozens of factors from the humidity of the air, the moisture content of the wood when you started, etc, etc, etc.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been almost two week getting the humidity out of a new tray, started at about 80% just in a ziplock bag. Another three or four days should have it down to 69%

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.