Home General Discussion
Options

Grant...Now that's a bomb!!!

ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

The wife was watching the TV series "Grant" as I walked by earlier and this stopped me in my tracks...... "After the Donelson campaign, Grant received over 10,000 boxes of congratulatory cigars from a grateful citizenry. He also was know for smoking 20 cigars per day".
My only comment was "**** that's unbelievable".....Wife told me I should have been a general.

I wonder how many coolers he had?

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

He inhaled every one of them too, and died of lung cancer. Man's man right there brother!

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

@VegasFrank said:
    He inhaled every one of them too, and died of lung cancer. Man's man right there brother!

IIRC, close... but no cigar. Grant chawed his gars. That was a popular way of chewing baccy in the day. Ergo, died from probably throat cancer. At the time he died, he was rewriting his memoirs, in which he bitterly regretted the Civil War as an unwarranted aggression by the North. ... so maybe we should knock his monuments down.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

@VegasFrank said:

IIRC, close... but no cigar. Grant chawed his gars. That was a popular way of chewing baccy in the day. Ergo, died from probably throat cancer. At the time he died, he was rewriting his memoirs, in which he bitterly regretted the Civil War as an unwarranted aggression by the North. ... so maybe we should knock his monuments down.

Hmmmm conflicts with what I read. Something for me to research today!

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had always heard throat cancer from chewing on a cigar all day.