Home General Discussion

Newbie - Help me fill my humidor

Hey all - tons of great info here. Been a passive cigar smoker for the last 10-15 years and having spent a lot of time in quarantine with my brother-in-law, lets just say I've been enjoying them more regularly. I just ordered a desktop Savoy humidor and am getting all antsy thinking about how to fill it up and figured I'd come here for some advise.

I recently received a delivery from abroad with some H. Upmanns and an inexpensive case of Piedras (been giving a bunch away since I'm short on storage in my travel humidor). Also have always been a big fan of Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuentes. I probably will order a case of those but was hoping for some other recommendations that fit in line with the strength and flavors of the AFs and Upmann's as they are the top ones I have had regularly.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. @Par4thecourse. I like different stuff on different days. You might try some Crowned Heads cigars. The Juarez robusto was really good for me, better than expected. There's so much out there to choose from. Most members here do not stick to certain profile preferences. We mix it up. And Fuente is often in the mix too.

• Par4thecoursePar4thecourse Posts: 10

Thanks for the recommendation @Bob_Luken! I will definitely check those out and let you know how I like them.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might also like to try some AJ Fernandez blends,. There are plenty to choose from. Just don't mention them to Frank, he thinks they suck.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read. My. Signature.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

@VegasFrank said:
    Read. My. Signature.

Here's Mr. Frank's Sig, in case you're on a mobile phone and don't want to bother switching your browser to desktop mode to read this.

President of the ccom Rocky Patel Fan Club
    Any of you guys call ME Francis, and I'll kill ya.
    AJ blends don't suck.
    What would Nick smoke?
    She's not much of a wrestler....
    Be like Peter; only order items that are in stock!
    "Time wounds all heels" - @Usaf06

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

Jose Piedra is one of the most under-rated Cuban cigars you can find.
    Yes, they are cheap, but very good.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • VisionVision Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:
    Jose Piedra is one of the most under-rated cigars you can find.

Thank you. Someone who knows about Jose!

@Patrickbrick said:
    I will give you the same advice I received. Go to a b&m and tell them what it was you liked about x cigar, listen to advice, smoke cigar/cigars recommended and continue the process until you feel you have **** sorta figured out. I'm going to rebuttal your rebuttal before you can even say it. Get on vherf and ask the above questions. No more excuses! Almost forgot, do not buy boxes until you have truly experimented, your tastes/palette will change and you will be stuck with 3/4 box of crap.

Great advice on buying boxes. I was close to buying a few from the recommendations here but glad I read that note. Hopefully b&m will be back to business as usual soon in these parts.

@0patience said:
    Jose Piedra is one of the most under-rated Cuban cigars you can find.

Definitely enjoying them. The end of the stick packs a great smoke especially at around $3/each from my guy.

• ChitownChitown Posts: 12

Are the teal ones La Imperiosa from Crowned Heads? I'm a newbie too so not much experience, but that was an awesome cigar if you like full bodied. Although I ordered a couple of packs that I got good deals on - I think I'm going to stick to samplers for now until I get a better feel for what I like.

edited August 2020

The teal ones are these https://cigar.com/p/h-upmann-by-aj-fernandez-cigar-cigars/2002849/

L to R i have whats left of the jose piedra's which are great cheap cubans, then a good friend sent me a bunch of his go to local sticks which are from shoprtscigars in south FL. Some sort of hand rolled local cigar with cuban wraps. Then all the way right I have the upmanns and the olivas

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

CAO Brazilia, Caldwell cigars, Drew Estate cigars.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

@Par4thecourse said:
    I figure for the flak I got asking what most nubes ask over and over again, I would circle back and thank those that gave me some recommendations and share an update. After trying an Oliva Serie V and enjoying it, I picked up a box of those and a 5 pack of Upmann AJ fernandez. Both were right up my alley and got both at a great price on an auction site. Also got a great deal on a V cutter which I think I prefer now. Hoping to get to a b&m this week to try some more stuff, any recommendations are still appreciated!

At those temps watch those Jose’s closely.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Word. Get those into a basement or a closet asap!

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say give San Cristobal a try. I like the originals, but the others are good, too.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

@ShawnOL said:
    CAO Brazilia, Caldwell cigars, Drew Estate cigars.

Most of those (minus Liga) can be had on auction sites for less then 3-5 bucks each..... even the Caldwells..... which is odd........ and all of a sudden