Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

****'s on Fire, Yo! *Contest*

WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

My weekend out camping was cut short by the forest I was in bursting into flames and the sheriff telling us to get the hell out and avoid the main roads. And yes, outrunning a forest fire on back roads you are unfamiliar with while your family is panicking in the car is EXACTLY as relaxing as it sounds... I haven't done a contest in awhile, so I will share the love. Whoever guesses the closest to acres destroyed by the time they call 100% containment will receive a little gift.

For reference, it is the Hog Fire in Northern California, and at the moment of posting this, it is 5200 acres at 0% containment.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...

Comments

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can not imagine driving through that with my wife. Glad you made it out safe

3, 625 acres

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you made it out safe.

60,000 acres

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

ay caramba!

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember driving back from Big Bear via Forest Home, settin' in the back of the Rambler station wagon, watching the fire jump direct from a hillside one side of the road to the hillside on the other. I'm sure Dad appreciated all five of my sisters shrieking at the same time.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you and the family are safe, Wayne. I was lucky to get out of a forest fire situation when I was driving on the fire roads into the country around Shasta.

150 k acres or 24 M square rods.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'll jump in...Seeing as it's kinda out in the boonies where no "important" people live, they're probably not going to work this too hard.

55,000 acres, or as it's known up here, a campfire.

Glad you guys got out. These things are scary fast.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you and the family made it out safely!
    Thanks for the contest.
    3.14x3140= 9859.6 acres up in smoke.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options

@Yakster said:
    Glad you and the family are safe, Wayne. I was lucky to get out of a forest fire situation when I was driving on the fire roads into the country around Shasta.

150 k acres or 24 M square rods or 2.9 Trillion square cubits.

• Options

@Trykflyr_1 said:
    i'll jump in...Seeing as it's kinda out in the boonies where no "important" people live, they're probably not going to work this too hard.

55,000 acres, or as it's known up here, a campfire.

Glad you guys got out. These things are scary fast.

6 helicopters, 29 engines, 19 brush crews. The problem is that it is on steep granite cliff faces and difficult to get in and fight. A lot of those parts of Lassen are considered uncross-able. It's at 5800 acres currently.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

18K acres.

Glad you are safe!

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

56176 acres

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes, glad you're ok. 300,000 acres.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn dude, that does not sound fun.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you made it out safe.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you and the family are safe, Wayne

84,250 acres

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

Glad you guys are ok.
    84,251 acres

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

50,000.1 acres

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

235,000 acres

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Usaf06 said:
    1 million acres. Including the city of san Francisco

did you disagree with the 1 million acres or the San Francisco part?

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options

The SF part.

• Options
    TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you are safe! I have a friend down the road from you in Minden who used to fight those fires so I have a pretty good understanding from our conversations over a couple of beers. Thanks for the contest...

21012 acres...

• Options

9420 at 9%. The winds blew it back on itself, and the part that was threatening town seems to be out. Our campsite was lost, but if they winds stay true it will hopefully be a small one.
    _
    About 1,087 personnel are working the fire, 147 engines, 31 water tenders, 21 hand crews, 33 dozers and numerous firefighting air tankers, as conditions allow._

• Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad y'all were ok! Wow, massive amount of people working on it.

40K acres

• Options

A natural storm went through and mixed with the thunderstorm caused by the fire leaving... hail in a forest fire. (way on the outskirts of the fire, but still pretty cool)

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

2,000,000,000 acres

• Options

9564 acres, 72% contained. It looks like most of the burning is the downed trees in the middle smoldering. Barring any unforeseen storms, this will likely be the final count. Which would put @rsherman24 the closest at 6k off. Will verify when it hits 100%.

• Options

98% at 9564 acres and it hasn't changed all week. I'm going to call it there. @rsherman24 Richard, have you moved in the last couple years? If not I will get something out to you this weekend.