Home General Discussion
Options

I have never tried an Opus cigar. Any recommendations?

BullSquatchBullSquatch Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to see what all the fuss is about. I have smoked Monte's, Davidoff, Padron, Cohiba, etc, but never an Opus. Any recommendations on which one to go with?

"Some people meditate, I smoke cigars." - Ron Perlman
"...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon
Two Time Cigar Lottery Winner

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Save your money and buy two padron 1926s

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to say which one will be 'the best' for you. I've enjoyed most of their various sizes. For me, I prefer the ring gauge to be less than 50. There are a couple that are around 46 - 49, at least one of them is 52 rg if I recall correctly. I think that the Perfexcion with the cedar sleeve is one that I really liked.

At one time, many folks visited us here hoping that one of our generous members would simply give them an Opus X because they were too chintzy to buy one for themselves. You'd be surprised how many came begging, and how quickly they disappeared if any well meaning soul obliged them. This factor accounts for @Usaf06 's gif above, as well as @danielzreyes signature line, among others.

If you're serious about trying one, the best advice I can give is to shop the brick and mortar stores. Reputable brick and mortar stores. By doing so, I've paid $12.50 for an Opus X that was regularly being sold for $36 at the online venues.

Make sure it's well rested. Even if you buy it at a good B&M. They tend to age very well. Smoking one right off the truck (ROTT) can be disappointing.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Hard to say which one will be 'the best' for you. I've enjoyed most of their various sizes. For me, I prefer the ring gauge to be less than 50. There are a couple that are around 46 - 49, at least one of them is 52 rg if I recall correctly. I think that the Perfexcion with the cedar sleeve is one that I really liked.

At one time, many folks visited us here hoping that one of our generous members would simply give them an Opus X because they were too chintzy to buy one for themselves. You'd be surprised how many came begging, and how quickly they disappeared if any well meaning soul obliged them. This factor accounts for @Usaf06 's gif above, as well as @danielzreyes signature line, among others.

If you're serious about trying one, the best advice I can give is to shop the brick and mortar stores. Reputable brick and mortar stores. By doing so, I've paid $12.50 for an Opus X that was regularly being sold for $36 at the online venues.

Make sure it's well rested. Even if you buy it at a good B&M. They tend to age very well. Smoking one right off the truck (ROTT) can be disappointing.

awesome advice! thanks man!

"...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon

• Options

@Guitarded said:
    Buy 2 of each.🤔
    It’s the only way to be sure. 😎

sounds like a solid, scientific plan!

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BullSquatch said:
    I want to see what all the fuss is about. I have smoked Monte's, Davidoff, Padron, Cohiba, etc, but never an Opus. Any recommendations on which one to go with?

It’s only 💰.... I would purchase at minimum 2 maybe 3. Smoke one ROTT, one year from now, and two plus years from now. Don’t over spend on them though..... I agree with Frank don’t go nuts spending when a Padron will do.

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭

Go with the Fuente Fuente size which is a corona gorda or the petite lancero both have the nice dried fruit taste profile to them. Of you like more cedar taste got for the **** or the love affair. If you like not knowing what your going to get...gay any of the other sizes. Just FYI I do have magnum O’s but haven’t had any yet

Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I second fuente fuente vitola. The following is strictly my opinion. I'm not a huge fan of the regular opus X line, however I do have some and I will periodically purchase them to age. Those are on the minimum 5 year plan, same with some Cubans.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tampa Sweethearts. They have samplers that will allow you to try their various offerings.

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite was always the Power Ranger or ****

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

I asked the same question on the v herf the other day ... I have had a few opus x’s that were plan old too strong for my palate. Someone recommended that I try the love affair ( short perfecto) ... I have a couple in my humidor to try soon...

• Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

FFoX Oscuro Oro - Good luck finding any. Corona size is legit, best cigar ever made in my opinion.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Victor Sinclair :-)