Home General Discussion
Options

Mo Cigars, Mo Problems??

Hello - I’m kinda of a newbie here so asking a simple question. Many of you have very large cigars collections that are going to take you multiple years to smoke. Is that because collecting cigars has become a hobby?

I don’t have much information and I might be completely wrong here so please correct me - I want to learn. It seems to be that storing cigars for a long time creates a lot of potential issues (Beatles, not enough humidity, too much humidity, etc.). Furthermore, from what little I’ve read, the benefits of aging are not clear and many as you don’t need to age cigars for more than a couple of months. In fact, if you are too long the cigar becomes worse. If the above is true, wouldn’t it make more sense to keep a smaller stock - maybe a few months or so?

As I said, I’m a newbie so please let me know if I’m just not getting it. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ChitownChitown Posts: 12

Sorry - typo. “and many say you don’t need to age cigars for more than a couple of months. In fact, it you age the cigar too long it becomes worse.”

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think any of us have ever met John, Paul, George, or Ringo, And most of us avoid tobacco beetles by keeping our temperature and humidity correct. Of course, if you are paranoid about tobacco beetles, you can always freeze your cigars when they come in. Two weeks in a deep freeze will kill every egg. However, there's a trick and a science to doing this.

As for aging them, this mostly improves a cigar according to most people, depending on the cigar. Aging allows the tobacco to mature and the flavors of the blend to marry. It also allows some of the more raw tobacco to mellow out a little bit, which brings out more flavor and smooths out the pepper effect a little. However, It's kind of like aspirin for a headache. It's generally a good thing, but if you overdo it, you're in trouble.

Overaging a cigar will turn it into a bland and hollow version of its former self. However, you're talking about decades here.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's up DZR, how you been?

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Chitown, welcome to the forum. My laptop won't boot up this morning so this is going to be brief. I like to buy boxes of good cigars and I like variety and deals so I buy good cigars when there's a deal. Most stronger cigars benefit from aging, some like years others less time, but some should be smoked with less or no aging like the Oliva Melanio V.

I use and recharge Bovedas which takes humidity issues out of the equation. Beatles can be an issue for cigars that are stored in temperatures above 70 F, you can freeze any cigars you're worried about when you get them to make sure they don't hatch if you don't have the luxury to keep temps down year round, but most manufacturers freeze them so the risk is lower now.

Leaky wooden humidors are your biggest risk, use tupperdors, weather tight crates, or coolers, or winedors.

Oh, and if this is DZR, you got me, ha ha

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soon as I saw the thread title, and @Patrickbrick as the most recent poster, I knew he'd be calling out DZR.

You can tell Frank's a noob; he still likes typing out long (correct) answers to DZR.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

Also, great cigar makers, Padron and Davidoff come to mind, age their cigars at the factory so they must think there's some benefit there.

• Options

DZR "hasn't bought cigars in years"

• Options

@peter4jc said:
    Soon as I saw the thread title, and @Patrickbrick as the most recent poster, I knew he'd be calling out DZR.

You can tell Frank's a noob; he still likes typing out long (correct) answers to DZR.

I didn't type it out. I dictated it on my phone.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Never mind, that is a true og Bold. The sampler box looks like this.

Post edited by Patrickbrick on
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

AdjusT all ya'LL Ties.....Sheesh. Wheres my Brother @Stubble?

• Options

@Stubble said:

@TruDog said:
    AdjusT all ya'LL Ties.....Sheesh. Wheres my Brother @Stubble?

Just chill'n...

Grrr,.......WooF.

• Options

HeY, I bleaK the DumB ass scale... And will continue to, puLL up ja Panties lil boy's

• Options

DiG ya Stubble.

• Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Nothing finer than a well aged (5+ years) full bodied cigar IMO. The flavors are harmonious and work together in concert to deliver a optimal experience. It's worth it. Many don't get to experience it because the vast majority of cigar smokers are of the buy and smoke variety. Aging takes patience and purposeful over buying. Not everyone can do it. Choosing the right cigars is also a major component. More cigars, no problem for me. :smiley:

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once you get to a point where you KNOW what you like and your tastes aren't changing, you can concentrate on boxes of the cigars you know you will smoke.
    All the sudden, you will be finding deals on those that you can't pass up, so you accumulate.

Science.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CAcigarguy007 said:
    Nothing finer than a well aged (5+ years) full bodied cigar IMO. The flavors are harmonious and work together in concert to deliver a optimal experience. It's worth it. Many don't get to experience it because the vast majority of cigar smokers are of the buy and smoke variety. Aging takes patience and purposeful over buying. Not everyone can do it. Choosing the right cigars is also a major component. More cigars, no problem for me. :smiley:

My brother! Ditto. I have chosen the wrong cigars to age and well.... they are just aged mulch now. Usually budget cigars and the saying is, IMHO true.... if you age a bad cigar you usually end up with an old bad cigar.

• Options

Thanks all. Good to get some insights for the well informed. Good catch on the mis-spelling too. Just saw a deal for 5 Cohiba red dot robustos and 5 Cohiba N5x50 for about $50. Sounds like a great deal but seems like I’m too new to the game to be spotting great deal. Is there a catch?

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:
    Cohiba red dots. Why?
    Is it something you like?
    If so, not a terrible deal. If unknown to you, better buys are out there. Check the Daily Deal. Check Cigarpage. Check the deals.
    AJ Fernandez, Drew Estates, Fuente, CAO, EP Carillo. All can be found at pretty decent prices and are arguably better than Cohiba.

I agree. Cohiba is solely reliant on their name.

• Options

I think other than the fake MSRP on Gurkha, Cohibas are the most overpriced cigar on the US market.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cohiba blue isn't bad.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cohiba and Graycliff are, in my opinion, the most overpriced cigars. However, at $4 each on an auction site, I will buy those all day long.

• Options

Poker_Slob - on cigar monster

• Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

C-Bid and Cigar Auctioneer mostly.

• Options
    edited August 2020

Confession time -- I had already put in an order for the Cohibas before I posted this. I got lured by the discount relative to regular price. Newbie mistake #1. Just got the order and smoked the red dot ROTT. I know I'm a newbie but there was absolutely no flavor in this cigar. I couldn't smoke it after I got half way through. Hopefully it gets better after resting/aging a bit. I think I'm going to go with a COMT club - maybe Stogie Bird. I need to smoke a bunch of stuff to get a feel for what I like. Hopefully the Cohibas get better but not holding my breath.

• Options

We've all been there @Chitown. Let them recover from shipment and just enjoy them. @0patience will tell you that the red dot is a pretty good Cameroon cigar. Usually is consistent and burns well.

Don't look ↑