Home General Discussion
Options

RP Seconds

Anyone have experience with RP Seconds or X-outs? Just tried The Edge Corojo wrapped and loved it. This site - Corona Cigars has x-outs. Not sure if it’s a reputable site. At $3/stick - I can make it my daily smoke. Or am I better off just waiting for a good price on one of the auction sites? Thanks, in advance, for helping a newbie out.

Comments

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you enjoy the RP 1sts, then go nuts on the 2nds. If not, they are not going to be any better than the regular offerings.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had good luck with some RP edge maduro xouts a while ago... maybe 7 years ago. Typically you get what you pay for. Most of the 2nds i tried were pretty much what you expect for a $1-2 cigar.

Agree with @VegasFrank find something you like that you know goes on sale for $3-4. Avo classics, DPG blues, many others can be had for $5 or less. Email ccom and ask for the daily deal price. They will likely say "sure!"

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

I smoked a bunch of the x-outs and they were good. I will also concur with Vegas Frank. There are simply too many good deals out there right now to smoked seconds or any other cigars that a manufacturer won't put their names on. Between CP/Monster/Holts/C King etc you can find some premium cigars at under $3. I simply don't see a need for gambles and long shots when you can get first rate cigars for sub $3, even sub $2 in a few cases. Check sales, clearance, and coupons. Some fantastic deals out there right now. I've been having to restrain myself because it's a feeding frenzy if you know where to look! Now you do!

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you like RP 2nds, go ahead and smoke 'em. Wait for them to go on sale whenever possible.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just bought a box of New world cameroons for 55 bucks. Why would I buy a bundle of seconds 45?

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know from experience that the RP 1990 Vintage seconds here at C.com are of highest quality and are among my favorite because they are closest to the actual blend I remember smoking back around circa 2000 from the B&M in Florida when they were fantastic.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    ChitownChitown Posts: 12

VegasFrank, CACigarGuy, Gray4Lines and others -- thank you so much. That is exactly the information I was looking for - thanks for helping a newbie out. I also realized that given the early stage I'm in -- I should be exploring a lot more with samplers so I try a wide variety of stuff before determining what I like best. Any thoughts/ideas on what brands I should try and how to get the best deals on samplers? Also, I'm not familiar with some of the acronyms -- ccom, CP ?? Assuming C King is Cigar King??

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ccom - cigar.com
    Cp - cigar page
    Cbid - cigarbid

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

The real RP’s are not good, why would you ever want to buy seconds

• Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chitown said:
    VegasFrank, CACigarGuy, Gray4Lines and others -- thank you so much. That is exactly the information I was looking for - thanks for helping a newbie out. I also realized that given the early stage I'm in -- I should be exploring a lot more with samplers so I try a wide variety of stuff before determining what I like best. Any thoughts/ideas on what brands I should try and how to get the best deals on samplers? Also, I'm not familiar with some of the acronyms -- ccom, CP ?? Assuming C King is Cigar King??

Correct! Plus what ShawnOL said.

• Options

I would just like to clarify that seconds don't necessarily mean "bad". The Rocky Patel seconds, for instance are the exact same blend sold as the main label but the wrapper is too light or too dark, or there are minor blemishes. That's all. As for folks claiming RP cigars suck, that's your opinion, no matter how popular or unpopular. Everybody has a taste profile they like, some do not always sway in the same direction. The important thing is that we are all here because we enjoy premium cigars. Rocky really does a lot to fight for the cigar industry, we at least owe him the respect of not slamming everything with his name on it, even if he does have thirteen trillion lines of cigars.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BKDog said:
    I would just like to clarify that seconds don't necessarily mean "bad". The Rocky Patel seconds, for instance are the exact same blend sold as the main label but the wrapper is too light or too dark, or there are minor blemishes. That's all. As for folks claiming RP cigars suck, that's your opinion, no matter how popular or unpopular. Everybody has a taste profile they like, some do not always sway in the same direction. The important thing is that we are all here because we enjoy premium cigars. Rocky really does a lot to fight for the cigar industry, we at least owe him the respect of not slamming everything with his name on it, even if he does have thirteen trillion lines of cigars.

I don't care that he has a lot of blends. I care that he reblends them periodically and doesn't change the labels or do anything else to indicate if you will be buying something tasty or crappy. Looking at you Decades and 1990's

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never ask for advice. Never overthink it. At least on stuff like this. There is no way anyone here has the right answer. Just buy 'em, smoke 'em, and find out the hard way.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chitown said:
    Also, I'm not familiar with some of the acronyms -- ccom, CP ?? Assuming C King is Cigar King??

@Chitown Years ago I started an acronym list. All the regulars love using acronyms and all the newbies kept asking what this or that meant. Myself included, So I made a list. It's not up to date, as many new acronyms have been put into use since my last update, but I'll post a link if you want to take a look.

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/766147/acronyms-amp-abbreviations-thread-a-amp-a-thread-useful-terms-listed-also/p1

• Options

@VegasFrank said:
    There's another thread in here today with DZR trying to sell his RP 2nds....

I saw that. Either the same person tested the waters to see if there's any positive response, or somebody else decided to take advantage of the situation. One way or the other, it's a shaky operation. Serves me right for standing up for the RP brand.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah, you were spot on

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Put aside your conspiracy theories - I think more of a coincidence than anything else. I don’t know DXR but, of course, that’s exactly what I would say if we were planning to stick someone with RP seconds...:).

I’m just a newbie who’s trying to find the best way to pursue this hobby. I think, for me, since I don’t have much time to research, etc. is the COMT approach. Stogie bird seems like a good option - curated by someone who knows what they’re doing. I’m not going with the RP seconds. I gotta resist my temptation to get a good deal (which is hard for me) and just focus on learning about, and trying a bunch of, cigars.

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cigar federation cotm is a good one

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options

@Chitown said:
    Put aside your conspiracy theories - I think more of a coincidence than anything else. I don’t know DXR but, of course, that’s exactly what I would say if we were planning to stick someone with RP seconds...:).

I’m just a newbie who’s trying to find the best way to pursue this hobby. I think, for me, since I don’t have much time to research, etc. is the COMT approach. Stogie bird seems like a good option - curated by someone who knows what they’re doing. I’m not going with the RP seconds. I gotta resist my temptation to get a good deal (which is hard for me) and just focus on learning about, and trying a bunch of, cigars.

Well, you definitely nailed me because I'm the conspiracy theory type, but if you spend enough time here you will see that this wasn't a leap of imagination. I mean, sometimes it's slow and we don't get the advertisers and promoters, but there are moments when some of the old guard pounce and it's pure comedy time.
    I've memorized your username, and I welcome you since I probably haven't earlier. :)

• Options

That's great --- already enjoying some of the banter on here. Thank you for the welcome.

• Options

Admitting you have a problem is the first step...:)

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flor de San Andres by RP on some auction sites are going $50 a box. Really good cigar at that price. Some Mass B&M are around $7-$8..... not worth that tho.