Home General Discussion
Options

Can you use the Boveda Cigar Butler without a smart phone?

I hate smartphones so I don't have one but my desktop is right next to the humidor... will that suffice?

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Nope, there's no app for your desktop. You need a smart phone or tablet unless you're savvy enough to install a phone emulator on your desktop and run the phone app inside the emulator. (That's beyond my skills, and even still it's not guaranteed to work with the Butler and the Bluetooth interface on your computer)

There's no web interface to the Boveda Butler.

There's no display on the Boveda Butler either, so this product won't be very much help.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll bet if you ask nicely you would find a brother or two around these parts who have an old smartphone lying around that isn't being used. All you need is an old phone w/ wifi AFAIK. But I suppose they'd have to load that app on it too, but that's beyond me... Yak?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Yes, you should be able to use it on any device that can download apps. Devices must run Android 5.0+/IOS 11+ (some Chromebooks, Android tablets, i-pad, i-pod touch). Not sure about all desktop since Microsoft but those running Ubuntu or other Ubuntu alternative OS's should be able to.

Go here: https://bovedainc.com/app/

Try it out before buying.

• Options
    edited August 2020

Oh and "hating smart phones" but having a desktop (computer) is kinda of an oxymoron. A smart phone is nothing more than a handheld desk top that has a dialer and cellular technology (bands) and a few extra gizmos built in. In fact, many people use cell phones, mostly older ones, exclusively as small tablets, reading devices or small computers by simply forgoing the SIM card and thus making it simply a computer. Your desktop can also make phone calls with google voice for free so you do in fact have a smart phone. It's just large and not portable. :D

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

The government can only see what I type/look at on a desktop, they know absolutely everything I do/say/go on smartphone. Big difference, definitely no oxymoron.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

But the masks are breaking facial rec for now.

• Options
    edited August 2020

@Patrickbrick said:
    The government can only see what I type/look at on a desktop, they know absolutely everything I do/say/go on smartphone. Big difference, definitely no oxymoron.

Windscribe VPN is $2 a month. Problem solved. You can also buy a burner smartphone with cash, at a place with no cameras, use prepaid cards, also purchased with cash from a place with no cameras, plus a VPN and burner or temporary (most are hour long) and then your are essentially anonymous at that point.

A desktop is the furthest from anonymous for most folks. That is unless you use a unconventional OS and stay on the dark web via Tor browser. A lot of people forget one step or another. It's very difficult to remain completely anonymous but a portable computer vs a static computer makes little difference.

Most people pass 12 cameras on average in their daily lives. Nearly every store has them and now, large majority of private residences as well. Not to mention paying for things with credit/debit cards or having services under your real name. Or even all the eavesdropping devices that have microphones and built in cameras.

Big brother is hard to avoid either way, you can hide from your ISP but big brother has been in bed with big telecom for decades. Att used to have a secret room for government access in SF. Imagine how much more access they have now, coupled with satellites, licence plate readers, and cameras everywhere. It's nearly an insurmountable task. What computer you choose to use is literally the least of the issues with regards to privacy.

The only safe space is in your head; for now anyway.

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

I logged onto one of the social media channels today and I see an add from cigar.com for a digital hygrometer with a remote display. Coincidence?

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rsherman24 said:
    I logged onto one of the social media channels today and I see an add from cigar.com for a digital hygrometer with a remote display. Coincidence?

No

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

I am not sure I would classify "in my head" as a safe place, but that is just my opinion. :)

Specifically speaking for my head...I would not claim to speak for others..

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    But the masks are breaking facial rec for now.

Nope
    We have facial recognition at work and it works with mask on. Mask is mandatory to come through the gate
    Sunglasses and mask? Now you have it beat

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welp.... we won’t be answering these questions in the near future

https://halfwheel.com/boveda-discontinues-butler/392538/

• Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go figure, all this new fangled gadgets....I'll stick with my two Zederkoff hygrometers...Three years and haven't even needed a new aaa battery yet.

• Options

I should really change the batteries in my Boveda Butlers some day.

• Options

I got an email that the Boveda Butler will now be known as the CI Smart Sensor.