Home General Discussion
Options

Remove stale cigar odor from garage

DerekDerek Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been hot, so I've taken a liking to smoking in the garage late at night. I leave one garage door open and use a fan to blow smoke out. still, an odor lingers the following day. Wife and kids don't like it so much.

I was thinking I could set out some cat litter, charcoal and/or a big box of baking soda in the garage.

What other tips / tricks do you guys have?

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh no, I don't have any room in my humidor for more wives and kids. there might be some brothers on here who are running low on one or both, though.

More seriously, keep your garage door open with the fan running for about an hour after you're done. Be very careful with your ash. Take your ass tray out side after you're done. Sweep the floor And make sure you get rid of all of the residuals. Hit it with a little febreze. I'm guessing the humidity that you get in North Carolina doesn't help you out at all. We can usually get most of it out around here because it all turns to dust.

Remember that women have more smell and taste receptors then men, scientifically speaking. Kids usually have a better sense of smell than old bastards like us. They're going to smell it when you don't. Might have to just man up and smoke outside. I'm smoking a Jaime Garcia and it's about 106 in the shade.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ozium Air Sanitizer Aerosol Vanilla Scent

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Definitely make sure to get the butts out of the garage as quickly as possible. They're the worst source of the odor.

For really fouled room smells, I have an Ionic / HEPA air purifier with a built-in Ozone Generator. I use the Ionic mostly, but if the odor is really bad you can kick on the Ozone, but make sure that there's no one in the room and air it out afterwards because it's not that healthy to breath.

I'm pretty sure they're not legal to buy in California anymore.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

But smell of cigars past in a garage is so good.

Definitely making sure no cigar butts left inside.

Ventilation is good. Once you're done smoking i dont know if exhausting garage air out or pulling fresh air in would help more.

Yeah probably a chemical spray like odoban or one of the above odor neutralizers or an ozone generator is the way to go. Ive never used ozone but apparently it works great if youre OK introducing ozone around. Can cause breathing irritation for some, however this is in the garage so maybe not a big deal. Always seemed like overkill to me.

With something passive like baking soda, i bet itd be difficult to have enough to make a difference. Just a guess though. Id rather have things smell like old cigars than new cat litter.

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

@Yakster said:

I'm pretty sure they're not legal to buy in California anymore.

What is? Anything?

Oh! Weed!

Which is fine by me.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 pin negative ion generator in your air purifier usually eliminates / neutralizes most odors. Airing out and Febreeze are good ideas, too.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

@Bob_Luken said:

And remember, women never forget, even when it wears off she'll remember the smell and swear she still smells it.

They certainly will.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

Park your car(s) outside? Then they never have to go into the garage.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish, my Wife has moved a home gym into the Garage due to the COVID-19 shutdown since she can no longer to the gym.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    KidSmoker_1KidSmoker_1 Posts: 5

Ozone generator.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nose plugs

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Or, fill the garage with fresh cigar odor...gets rid of the stale cigar odor every time.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    DerekDerek Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Or, fill the garage with fresh cigar odor...gets rid of the stale cigar odor every time.

That's a daily maintenance routine I can follow