Home General Discussion
Options

What kind of cigars did Churchill smoke?

I never assumed that Churchill smoked Davidoff cigars and that being the reason for the naming a cigar after him. What did he smoke?

Comments

• Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to Google, he favored two Cuban brands above the rest: Romeo Y Julieta and La Aroma de Cuba. The size (vitola) we have all come to know well enough, named after him and used by many companies were not named 'Churchill' at the time (obvious). Churchill didn't spend much time in Cuba, perhaps a few months with the British Army. Back in those days, most cigar smokers had a tendency to stick with one cigar they favored, but Winston Churchill was known to smoke a variety of sizes.

I got most of that information from here, it's a good read: https://www.egmcigars.com/blogs/the-cuban-cigars-blog-by-egm-cigars/cigar-smoking-icons-winston-churchill

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched a documentary called Havana on prime ... there is a shop called Robert Lewis of London, where it showed the accounts and of Winston Churchill, you could see he bought a lot of 25 and 50 count boxes of Romeo and Julieta “epicure grande’

• Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BKDog said:
    According to Google, he favored two Cuban brands above the rest: Romeo Y Julieta and La Aroma de Cuba. The size (vitola) we have all come to know well enough, named after him and used by many companies were not named 'Churchill' at the time (obvious). Churchill didn't spend much time in Cuba, perhaps a few months with the British Army. Back in those days, most cigar smokers had a tendency to stick with one cigar they favored, but Winston Churchill was known to smoke a variety of sizes.

I got most of that information from here, it's a good read: https://www.egmcigars.com/blogs/the-cuban-cigars-blog-by-egm-cigars/cigar-smoking-icons-winston-churchill

That article has a lot more info than just my one liner... i enjoyed reading ( should have read it first )

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chruchill smoked churchills. Right? :D
    Oh come on, it was funny.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

:s

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why, cigars made of tobacco, of course... 😜😝😜