Home General Discussion
Options

Any experience with Case Study from Ventura?

VisionVision Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seeing they are being blown out on a “Page” I was wondering if there are any value in a box purchase? Looking for opinions on these. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll let you know in a few days! I bit on the Kelner Robusto for 2 boxes!

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine should be here in a few days. Kelner for that price, worth the risk

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last year I bought a bunch of singles on auctioneer, #1 through #21. The ones that stood out were #1, it got an A, #6 got a B, #8 got a C+, #11 got a B-, #18 and # 20 both got C+.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you asked this Pete, was thinking about these too

• Options

@rsherman24 said:

I’m thinking a box of #3

• Options

@peter4jc how was 3?

• Options

@Vision said:
    @peter4jc how was 3?

I recall is it was very good.

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭

Tried several of them and found them all to be much like the lost and found sticks......generally better lost snd there is a reason they werent wanted initially.

• Options

@rsherman24 said:

Same here.

• Options

@Vulchor said:
    Tried several of them and found them all to be much like the lost and found sticks......generally better lost snd there is a reason they werent wanted initially.

Do you think that advertising or the lack of 300 other blends hurts releases like these? If AJ jumped into a blend would that help them in terms of press? Just a thought.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I listened to some Case Study cigar reviews on the Developing Palates podcast, IIRC, they were a mixed bag.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

You get what you pay for usually. Maybe the lack of advertising and elaborate bands/boxes will help, but I am not setting expectations very high. It is a $3 stick, so it is a good smoke for golf at the least and maybe I end up liking it.

• Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far, I’ve liked everything I’ve ever tried from Kelner. Not necessarily loved, but liked!

• Options

@Vulchor said:

Based on the percentage of winners to losers in my 'try them all' experiment, I'd agree. The same could be said for lots of brands, they have a mix of winners and losers.

I think the idea behind Case Study was very cool, to give a bunch of top blenders a crack at a blend and then lump them together as one brand. But I also think that was part of their weakness, that customers look to a brand to have one blender, one identity. Don't think they were marketed well either. Ventura seems to be disjointed in some ways.

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@Vulchor said:

Do you think that advertising or the lack of 300 other blends hurts releases like these? If AJ jumped into a blend would that help them in terms of press? Just a thought.

I think that can hurt to some degree, yeah....especially name recognition. For me though, stuff like Rocky and his 1500 blends turns me off to his stuff ans it seems like AJ is going more and more down that road every passing year.

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Kelner with a san andres wrapper? Thats interesting.

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options

@Gray4lines said:
    Kelner with a san andres wrapper? Thats interesting.

I popped on a box. I thought the same thing.

• Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please share when y'all try them

• Options

Check out the prices auctioneer has them listed for

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I caved on the #1 Robo yesterday.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know we should consider box splitting ... but I would just end up buying double the boxes ...

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought an assortment of 'em a few years ago when they first hit the market. Don't remember much about them now.