Home General Discussion
Options

Anyone smoke half a cigar and finish the rest the next day?

Something tells me that is a no no for your tastebuds.

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

I do, always purge them before putting the aside.

Then again, I am not known as a super-taster.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very occasionally, but it has to be a stand-out cigar for me to bother. Like Edward, I'll purge the cigar but I'll take it a step further and cut the cherry off the foot of the cigar before the ash after purging to keep it from stinking up the cigar any further.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Allatime. Sometimes with greater enjoyment than others.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have forgotten one while I was smoking it.
    I sat it down to do something, real quick and completely forgot about it.
    Next day, there it was in the ashtray. Re-lit and smoked just fine.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    NickermanNickerman Posts: 37

@silvermouse said:

What is the purging process you do?

• Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did this when I was staring out ... brought in the cigar to my home and humidor..it made everything smell like an ashtray... like disproportionately stinky... leaving it outside is impossible where I live. The humidity is so high, a cigar overnight would turn into wet mush. If you try it, I would avoid storing it indoors.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nickerman said:

@silvermouse said:

What is the purging process you do?

Blow out while lighting it to remove any carbon and impurities. Then once this is done continue to relight the cigar normally.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you blow through a cigar before putting it down you purge the smoke and it doesn't just condense and get absorbed into the tobacco creating a stale taste.

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

With a very special/good cigar, I will purge then cut the end off like @silvermouse and @Yakster do.
    I then put it in a zippy bag and bring it in the house as humidity and heat here would ruin it. I have only done that a few times with a cigar that I hated to leave and had no more of.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do it with Backwoods all the time.

• Options
    RockRashRockRash Posts: 17 ✭✭✭

@EgoBoundary said:
    I did this when I was staring out ... brought in the cigar to my home and humidor..it made everything smell like an ashtray... like disproportionately stinky... leaving it outside is impossible where I live. The humidity is so high, a cigar overnight would turn into wet mush. If you try it, I would avoid storing it indoors.

I have good results putting the cigar in a ziploc for indoor overnight storage

• Options
    KidSmoker_1KidSmoker_1 Posts: 5

If it's got "long pants" then most certainly.

Blow out the smoke before setting in the ashtray and allow it to go out on it's own.

• Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Never. That's just nasty. The closest I've come is to relight a cigar that I've neglected and it went out but thats usually only a few min, not overnight. I keep various cigar sizes for times when I want a shorter smoke. I've also stopped buying a lot of the larger cigars like I used to, to get "maximum value". Prefer robusto and under these days but will grab a bit larger cigar if the price is right and it's the only vitola offered. Robusto cigars tend to burn and draw better and also less tar build up but I digress.

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell No!

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options

I can't remember doing this. I was taught by this forum NOT to do this. I was told why,.... bad flavors to begin with, and I was told of undesirable consequences if I stored a half smoked cigar in the wrong place. I knew day old burnt nubs smelled bad. I knew I didn't want to smoke one and I assumed my lesson learned was a good one without having to prove it to myself. Yes, I'll re-light a cigar ten times if I let it go out ten times, but I'll pass on a leftover cigar. Sure, you can purge and clip off the cherry, but to me, that seems like you're just making the best of a bad situation.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CAcigarguy007 said:
    Never. That's just nasty. The closest I've come is to relight a cigar that I've neglected and it went out but thats usually only a few min, not overnight. I keep various cigar sizes for times when I want a shorter smoke. I've also stopped buying a lot of the larger cigars like I used to, to get "maximum value". Prefer robusto and under these days but will grab a bit larger cigar if the price is right and it's the only vitola offered. Robusto cigars tend to burn and draw better and also less tar build up but I digress.

Totally agree. Not enough time..... Robusto or Corona. If something comes up and I can’t smoke it till the next day.... mulch. If it’s that important that I have to leave a cigar it’s more important than any cigar I own.

• Options

@BKDog said:
    I stopped short during an intimate encounter one night and woke up the next morning to resume where I had left off with the lady fortunate enough to grace my presence. Unfortunately, a cigar isn't quite as receptive to being warmed back up from a cold state, nor does it lick your bawlz as a reward. Therefore, no, I have not considered relighting a cigar left to go out after sitting longer than 10 or 15 minutes.