Home General Discussion

New Exhaust For Your ~~Favorite~~ Cigar Smoker

peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up one of these;

And these two to make it work;

My upstairs bedroom is my cigar room, as many of you know. There's a big window facing west and a door leading to a walk-in attic on the east side of the room. Up 'til now, for 8 months of the year when I can't just open the window and door because of cooler or rainy weather, I've opened the window and inserted a big piece of particle board that has a duct-booster fan mounted on it. It's better than nothing but is a mediocre solution at best; it's clunky and putting it up/taking it down after each smoke sucks; the fan was barely good enough for me, let alone a 2nd smoker; with winter winds prevailing out of the west the fan not only struggled in its fight with the wind, cold air would find cracks between the particle wood and the window frame.

So on to a better solution! This new fan will be mounted in the attic, and it's quiet! And having it at the end of an 8' flexible duct should eliminate any sound it does make. It also has 8 speeds and is controlled via a corded remote, so I can set it at 1 or 2 when it's just me, or higher when anyone joins me for football or a movie. I plan on snaking the remote control through the ducting, into the room, so the attic door can stay closed. It'll be so nice to simply hit the switch instead of messing with the board fan in the window!

I'll play around with where to bring in air into the room, whether it's cracking the window or from the stairwell/1st floor - might depend on the outside temperature. I'm thinking I may have to insulate the ductwork too, to avoid it getting wet inside when I'm blowing warm-ish air into a 0° attic. Hopefully, the roof's ridge vent and the soffit vents will allow enough air movement that moisture (not to mention, smoke) in the attic won't be an issue.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Comments

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a good plan.
    You already know what to look out for

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck!

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great idea Peter.
    Now you just need to call in the FIBS!
    @IndustMech for the engineering and @Patrickbrick for the installation.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

So who besides Peter got an exhaust?

Don't look ↑
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thomas Edison has nothing on you.

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

Please take a few pics when you install it. Cool idea! Id like to figure something out where I could vent a room like this... my office/cigar room is in the basement, but on an exterior wall and has a window.

Window mouted exhause does just kind of suck in the winter (exactly when you want to smoke inside).

Is that pulling air through a vent you are installing? And then straight to the attic? Does seem like you could have the output right out by the roof vent.. wonder if you could use a damper or something that shuts when air is not blowing through, like a dryer vent.

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good idea to have an intake filter, keeps the fan blades clean.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Shaner9erShaner9er Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

I've used these to exhaust heat out of small server rooms before they work pretty well i think you should be pleased

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

@Gray4lines said:

Is that pulling air through a vent you are installing? And then straight to the attic? Does seem like you could have the output right out by the roof vent.. wonder if you could use a damper or something that shuts when air is not blowing through, like a dryer vent.

I'm cutting a 6" hole in the wall between my room and the attic, and installing that 3rd item - they call it a duct starter - and the metal ring will be what you see in the room. I'm going to fashion some kind of cover for it w/ a 6" circle of foam rubber or styrofoam glued to a decorative wood cover (or cigar sign) and it'll stay in place either w/ magnets or just the friction of the insert. That'll cover the hole and prevent cold attic air from entering the room when the fan's not in use.

@Gray4lines They also sell a 4" version that would've probably been fine, but I figured for another $20 I'd make sure it's bigger than what I'll need. They also sell a backdraft preventer w/ two spring-loaded flaps that you could use for your installation.

@IndustMech The fan comes apart very easily if the blades need cleaning, but after 5 years, the one in the window hasn't accumulated any crud yet.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would only work for on/off but they do sell cordless remotes. They’re used most with hot tub blowers so you don’t get shocked while sitting in the water.

I used one to control an overhead box fan fitted with sawdust filters that I hung above my table saw.

Just a thought.... 👴🏻

@peter4jc I get it now. Thanks for the explanation. Those look really nice. Absolutely always go bigger!

Do you think the vent placement matters? Wall vs ceiling. I guess a ceiling fan could circulate air to make sure the smoke gets sucked up.

You ever notice how smoke will just settle at some level in a still room? Perhaps this unit will be powerfull enough to clear it though.

Now I want to just get one to boost some of our hvac vents that are furthest from the AC unit.

I have noticed that, Gray, when even w/ my window and attic door open, there's no breeze going through the smoke will find a place to just sit. I'm guessing it won't be an issue with intake air coming from a cracked window opposite where the smoke is being drawn out. And for much of the winter, I use a space-heater w/ oscillating fan that should mix things up. A small PC fan rigged up in one of the corners might be a good idea too.

As for the placement of a vent, it seems that unless you're smoking right close or under the vent, too much smoke escapes into the room, which makes the overall CFM rating of the fan more important than the placement of the vent.

Yeah, as long as the unit can exchange the air in the room reasonably fast I bet it wont matter much as for placement.

Hurry up and install it so I can see it work. Light something really smokey too. Or smoke 3 cigars at once.

Thank you @peter4jc for your quick turnaround. Looks great!

Now what, climb in the attic and drill a hole in the floor, then run the duct through the wall up to the attic?

This bedroom (ahem) is on the 2nd floor.

I meant "floor" of the attic. Or does that wallspace go straight to the attic?

Either way halfway there! Let me know when I can come visit

@Yakster said:
    Is there going to be a Shades of Gray herf from Peter's bedroom?

Long and skinnies for all

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peter is handy to have around

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's happened before when Peter is roasting coffee.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Looks great!would love to see a video of it in action. Interested on the volume when it kicks on too. Looks like a nice little set up!