Home General Discussion
Options

Puzzled

2»

Comments

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pick a smoke or two and put them where you will be smoking them. Leave them there for several hours to acclimate some to the environment before smoking. You can thank me later. Can't help on why your taste buds don't work though.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Diver43 said:
    I live in South Florida and this year has been hotter and more humid than normal. It has slowed my cigar smoking down, but has not effected the flavor at all.
    As suggested already, go to a local shop, get a stick and smoke it there. If you have the same taste issue as at home, may something you drink at home while smoking is numbing your tastebuds, or maybe nicotine?

I lived in Florida for almost ten years and don't see how it could be any more humid than normal. Seen the humidity at over 100% quite a few times.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, it's rough when the humidity goes over 100%; you may as well forget about smoking a cigar. ;-)

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    Yeah, it's rough when the humidity goes over 100%; you may as well forget about smoking a cigar. ;-)

When it’s raining inside your body is always rough.

• Options
    hoghunterhoghunter Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:

It’s 100% humidity in Florida about 99% of the time....

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hoghunter said:
    Not sure what else to do here. Started my cigar journey several months ago. Bought two Boveda acrylic humidors and had two large 69% packs in each. RH was hovering around 72 and temp at 73 degrees. Smoking outside in FL humidity. I could barely get through a stick without it going out mushy half way through. Fast forward and I swap out the Bovedas for two large 62 RH packs and now I’m at 63~65 Rh and still 73 degrees measured by a pair of Boveda Butlers. I figured lowering the Rh was the right move- and that solved the mushy issue. Now I get to enjoy about an inch of every stick and they all just turn blah with no flavor the rest of the stick. I just had a small Fuente Work of Art. Cut/light/enjoy about a half inch and then blah. No taste. WTF? I’m throwing money down the drain on nice quality sticks and letting them sit for weeks in the Boveda humidors between 63-65 Rh. I swear I’m not smoking too fast. Doesn’t matter the brand or price point or even vitola- they all just taste like nothing quickly after light up. I do have to smoke outside. What am I doing wrong????

Serious question.... is your tongue burned after smoking the first half?

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Patrickbrick said:
    Pick a smoke or two and put them where you will be smoking them. Leave them there for several hours to acclimate some to the environment before smoking. You can thank me later. Can't help on why your taste buds don't work though.

It looks like a cigar completely acclimates to its environment in 5 hours or less, depending on how different the smoking environment is from the storage environment. Takes less time to bounce back to storage environment levels. Data to follow in the nerdy thread.

Don't look ↑