Home Cigar 101
Options

Tell me about your ash

TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
So what do the differences in ash mean? Colour, density, firmness/tightness? Never much cared about this till I noticed some brown ash under the white outer ash of a 5 Vegas Miami.

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    As far as I know, color all comes down to certain chemicals in the leaf that were imparted from the soil. So that's all a different color means, it has no bearing on quality as some would have you believe. I can't say about the other things, it would be pure speculation on my part.
  • Options
    I have always considered a dense and stable ash to mean good construction on a cigar, but honestly I don't know if that's true or not.
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    IMO, a tight, light colored ash is more visably appealing, but aside from that, I don't think any type of ash is "better" than another. If a cigar were the best I'd ever smoked and the ash was crumbly and wouldn't hold on for an inch, I wouldn't care.
  • Options
    One2gofst:
    If a cigar were the best I'd ever smoked and the ash was crumbly and wouldn't hold on for an inch, I wouldn't care.
    Exactly. That's the real essence of it right there. To take it even further, if a cigar were ugly, didn't burn that great and couldn't hold an ash but tasted phenomenal, I wouldn't care. I see way too many people put such emphasis on appearance when all emphasis, in my opinion, should be on taste... I don't smoke cigars with my eyes, I don't know about anyone else.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    j0z3r:
    One2gofst:
    If a cigar were the best I'd ever smoked and the ash was crumbly and wouldn't hold on for an inch, I wouldn't care.
    Exactly. That's the real essence of it right there. To take it even further, if a cigar were ugly, didn't burn that great and couldn't hold an ash but tasted phenomenal, I wouldn't care. I see way too many people put such emphasis on appearance when all emphasis, in my opinion, should be on taste... I don't smoke cigars with my eyes, I don't know about anyone else.
    Tried once, poked the crap outta my eye but it was around Halloween so I got a bird and called myself a pirate.

/end sarcasm.
  • Options
    Garen B:
    j0z3r:
    One2gofst:
    Tried once, poked the crap outta my eye but it was around Halloween so I got a bird and called myself a pirate.

/end sarcasm.
    har har har....Yarrr!!!!
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Well, mine's pretty hairy and doesn't get much sun. Oh WAIT... sorry. Haha

Here's another thought as well...

Which stick you've smoked held the biggest ash??

For me it was an Oliva G Cameroon Toro. It almost made it to a full 3 inches before falling off. To me a long, even ash means good construction.

• Options
    My longest ash was on a La Flor Dominicana Limitado III, it held for a little over half the cigar, so a bit over 3 inches, and never fell on its own, I finally tapped it so it wouldn't fall in my lap.
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    The diesels I have smoked so far can hold an ash the whole way.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    2nd The Diesel and of course NUB.
  • Options
    I like a tight ash.... oh wait. I've just noticed different ash from different tobacco leafs from different areas.